What's new
What's new

Anything actually use #14 machine screws?

Conrad Hoffman

Diamond
Our tapping head has an adapter for these and I even have a #14 tap in my collection, but in 40 years I've never seen a #14 machine screw used in anything. How often do you actually see one?

I've never seen an application in the wild, but I did mess up a batch of parts by using a #14-20 instead of a 1/4"-20. They look very similar. Luckily I figured this out after heat treat. :D

At a place I worked decades ago, they stocked 14-24 hex nuts. Seems I recall it was the standard thread for railroad signal relay binding posts. They may have also stocked a couple sizes of machine screws in that thread.

Dennis

The Hardinge Cataract bench lathes, made from 1903 to about 1939, had a cast iron tool tray on the left front of the bed. The tray was attached with two 14-24 filister head screws. The holes in the tray were keyholed to allow easy removal of the tray for cleaning.

Larry

Cataract lathe tray 1.jpg DSC01340.jpg 40TPI single reduction.jpg

I did run into them about 40 years ago, but don't remember what they were for. That was when I learned that there was such an animal. Now, like every one else, I have one in my box. It is still good as new.
JH

Don't be too sure about that. Starrett is infamous for using non standard sizes, as in non standard diameters as well as an odd pitch. You think you know what standard size it is and buy a replacement and it does not fit.

You pay extra for a high priced screw which you must then purchase another high priced, non-standard screw for a replacement when it is worn or lost. And we sing the praises of Starrett.

For some reason I think Starret uses them today on something like the machine level vial hold down screws or adjusment screw.
Bill D

Glad to see the #14 is an ugly duckling and there isn't some wildly popular use I was unaware of. Still not throwing away my two #14 taps- the minute I do, the need for #14 tapped holes will explode. Thanks!

Glad to see the #14 is an ugly duckling and there isn't some wildly popular use I was unaware of. Still not throwing away my two #14 taps- the minute I do, the need for #14 tapped holes will explode. Thanks!

LOL!

That's a reasonable assumption!

At least Taps don't take up a lot of room in long term storage!

Trying to recall, but IIRC, there was a bunch of computer hardware, racks and shelves and the like, that used the #14 size. Maybe it was #12???

Standard electronic rack rails usually use 10-32 screws. I used to purchase then by the thousands.

As for computer stuff, those guys are nuts so anything goes.

LOL!

That's a reasonable assumption!

At least Taps don't take up a lot of room in long term storage!

Trying to recall, but IIRC, there was a bunch of computer hardware, racks and shelves and the like, that used the #14 size. Maybe it was #12???

Don't be too sure about that. Starrett is infamous for using non standard sizes, as in non standard diameters as well as an odd pitch. You think you know what standard size it is and buy a replacement and it does not fit.

You pay extra for a high priced screw which you must then purchase another high priced, non-standard screw for a replacement when it is worn or lost. And we sing the praises of Starrett.

Another way to look at it though, is that - given that the designs of some of their tools date back to before all such things were standardized - it’s sort of nice that a screw on a tool that is now an antique is the same as one produced today. And that they can still supply it.

As to the pricing, it’s my guess that they would much rather have you go to the hardware store than to gouge you on the price of a replacement screw. Pretty tough to make money selling one or two screws at a time.

My bad, I found the tap and the bushing, the parts were 12-24. I made the nuts and screws for the job. Part of a oilfield shear screw assembly. Still not a size you see everyday.

Back