What's new
What's new

Applying anti corrosion measures to mild steel

psandherr

Plastic
A client is having trouble with a testing facility they built, It is made completely out of 1020 plate steel and is a 8'x8'x20' chamber sitting on a dirt floor in a pole barn.

The whole thing is constantly rusting and water permeating from the ground is constantly wetting it making it impossible to paint(so i think).

Has anyone had any experience with penetrating oils or other measures to keep the steel from completely turning to rust. There is nothing i can do for the bottom contacting the ground but i was hoping to make the interior a lil better.

They definitely should have picked a better material but there is no going back now.

Stabilize the moisture in the pole barn (with dehumidifiers, tarps, etc.) Then an application of rust converting primer followed by a quality topcoat. Either enamel or two-part epoxy style coating.

if it is really that wet zinc electrodes or imposed voltage might help. I think it should be lifted and plastic sheets put underneath.
Bill D

Lift it off the dirt floor so that air can circulate under it. Cover the dirt with plastic sheeting 6-8 mil thick. The enclosure will need to be painted or coated to prevent corrosion. This includes the outside bottom.

Tom

Sand blast and paint with 2 part epoxy paint. Problem solved. I do some consult work in salt plants. Works fine.

Does the owner of the barn know this meth lab is being constructed in the barn ?

Give us a break here.

You have options, you just don't want to do any work to fix this problem.

Spray the whole thing down with used motor oil, inside and out.

Should use about 50 gallons, use compressed air with a simple syphon gun.

Phosphoric acid rust conversion works pretty well. I have used it some to good effect. It would get around the need for sand blasting. Prior to taking on a sizable job like this, I would first consult with the manufacturer of such a converter to make sure it would accept whatever coating you would want to apply. One common brand is [h=1]Ospho 605 Metal Treatment[/h]
Denis

This sounds like a perfect candidate for a moisture cure polyurethane such as POR-15. These paints adhere well to tight rust and the moisture helps them cure quicker. I've used the products from POR-15 and Bill Hirsch Auto but my current favorite is RustSeal from KBS Coatings.

POR-15 - Professional automotive & industrial coatings for permanent rust & corrosion protection.

RustSeal - Stop Rust - Paint Over Rust - Corrosion Coating

Auto Rust Paint, Miracle Paint Rust Killer, Rust Paint, Paint Rust Killer - HirschAuto.com

I also agree that it needs to be lifted, the bottom coated, and plastic placed underneath as a vapor barrier.

I also agree that it needs to be lifted, the bottom coated, and plastic placed underneath as a vapor barrier.

Nothing doing, the used motor oil will run down both inside & outside, thereby penetrating the soil, stopping the water ingress, as well as treating the submerged steel.

Easy Peasy.

Probably wasted effort. If they half assed it like that in the first place they probably wont fix it.

Can the whole thing be sent out and galvanized? 8x8x20' is big but not that big.

I gotta say...anyone working in a pole barn with a dirt floor - unless it is with horses or cows - is not serious about life.

Can the whole thing be sent out and galvanized? 8x8x20' is big but not that big.

I gotta say...anyone working in a pole barn with a dirt floor - unless it is with horses or cows - is not serious about life.

half encased in concrete and cant be moved. Nothing is gonna be perfect but i just want to delay total corrosion.

Nothing doing, the used motor oil will run down both inside & outside, thereby penetrating the soil, stopping the water ingress, as well as treating the submerged steel.

Easy Peasy.

Used motor oil + soil = hazardous waste = big fines.

Many states used to put it on unpaved roads to control dust but these days that's a big no-no.

Used motor oil + soil = hazardous waste = big fines.

Many states used to put it on unpaved roads to control dust but these days that's a big no-no.

GIGO

OP posted a "garbage posting" and they got "garbage back"

and note the ensuing "yabutts" from the OP.

The complete description of the problem will eventually come out, give it (3) mores pages.....

GIGO

OP posted a "garbage posting" and they got "garbage back"

and note the ensuing "yabutts" from the OP.

The complete description of the problem will eventually come out, give it (3) mores pages.....

I actually got good replies from some and found a product to use based on suggestions, I ignore smug jerks who reply with no help, or dumb "advice".

I supplied basic info and expected basic replies but a lot of people on this forum are so full of themselves they feel the need to be unprofessional jerks.

I thank the people that helped and like your mother should have told you if you don't have anything good to say, don't say it.

Back