Apprentice drawings

• Thread starter Luke.kerbey
  • Start date
  • Replies 13
  • Views 2,433
L

Luke.kerbey

Hi folks,

I’ve made a folder with all the drawings from my toolmaking apprenticeship a few years ago. It’s a mix of DWG and PDF files. It could be a good resource for any mentors, apprentices or tutors that need some good designs.
ive edited the post to include a couple pictures of the finished projects.

Contains the basic stuff up to the more involved toolmakers vice and clock stand.

If any one wants a copy of the files inbox me your emails or drop them here and I’ll send a copy over.

Would be good if anyone got round to making any of it too see some photos.
couldnt upload any pdfs of the actual drawings as they exceeded the size limit.
angle plate photo.jpgtoolmakers vice assembly photo.jpg

Attachments

• clock stand assembly photo.jpg
    clock stand assembly photo.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 185
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a keen young apprentice here who deserves some interesting projects. I can't promise we'll get around to them but it would be great to have the material should the time turn up!

PM sent.

Thanks for taking the time!

Post up a few for us to see! :D

I have (what I think) is a neat design for an angle plate set up, no drawings, though I wish I had some... Basically allows 2 dowels and a FHCS to locate from 5-45 degrees, plus a 30 deg V block for grinding shear on punches....

I am currently the "steward" for the metal/machine shop of a new makerpsace in NJ. I have been gathering designs and plans, especially simple stuff, as projects for beginners. I have the 'Machine Shop Projects' by South Bend and a few more I have found on the intertubes. I would be very interested in a set of your drawings.

Here is what I have made so far:
20201023_194334.jpg
and
20200920_173006.jpg

The tap handles are W1 and hardened, the screws are case hardened. I have polshed them since that photo and need to temper them still.
The machinist jacks have since been case hardened and we have been using them.

Mainly I have been working out the kinks in using an unmentionable make of lathe and tooling and setups that I am not completely familiar with.

-DU-

Cool, drop us your email and I’ll send them over, I’ll also upload some photos shortly when I get my laptop out.

Very nice looking tools Luke. Was this an apprenticeship at Thermo-Scientific? Are most of the projects in stainless ("STAVAX")? Did you heat treat the parts? The thing you call a "clock stand" is called a "surface gage" in the US.

-DU-

I am currently the "steward" for the metal/machine shop of a new makerpsace in NJ. I have been gathering designs and plans, especially simple stuff, as projects for beginners. I have the 'Machine Shop Projects' by South Bend and a few more I have found on the intertubes. I would be very interested in a set of your drawings.

Here is what I have made so far:
View attachment 302991
and
View attachment 302992

The tap handles are W1 and hardened, the screws are case hardened. I have polshed them since that photo and need to temper them still.
The machinist jacks have since been case hardened and we have been using them.

Mainly I have been working out the kinks in using an unmentionable make of lathe and tooling and setups that I am not completely familiar with.

-DU-

David,
If you don't mind my asking, where in NJ is your maker space.

Paul

Yes I did my toolmaking apprenticeship at thermofisher, we made mould tools for PCR plates. And most of my apprentice tools were made from H13 as were most of the moulds so it was in abundance. To be honest most of the tools can be made of anything that can be hardened.

No problem LockNut... We are the 'Maker Junction' in Fairfield NJ. Home - Maker Junction If you are nearby or passing nearby, drop by.

View attachment 303025

Did the final temper on those tap handles this afternoon.

-DU-

Wow David, you seem to be only 5 minutes from our Doosan showroom. We are in Pine Brook just off of Rt. 46. Maybe when this COVID stuff dies down we can setup a tour for your members. In the meantime, are you open for business right now? I wouldn't mind stopping in sometime and check it out.

Paul

Haha yeah. I think we are less than a mile as the crow flies but google maps shows 2.6 miles and 10 minutes as NJ traffic patterns go. You are welcome to come by any time during our normal hours. I am not always there though... so best to text me or call me first. I will PM my contact info.
I would love to see your showroom when it is opened up again. Probably won't get a big crowd from Maker Junction though. We are mostly woodworking and 3D printing types here. It is the same for most makerspaces. One of the owners just got started on our Tormach and has been "bitten by the bug" so that may change.

-DU-

Back