What's new
What's new

ASME Y14.5 .. clarification

ryanbcnc

Plastic
Hi everyone just finishing the final block of my apprenticeship in class. We had a class that focused on GD&T .. the teacher was clearly under qualified to be teaching the subject. For the sake of my own knowledge I am doing some research myself. I ended up finding a free copy of Y14.5 1994 pdf.. I know there was a revision done in 2009 and I have an article on the changes made. Looks like a new Revision just came out last month but finding any reliable information on that is not overly easy just yet. Due to text books often only scratching the surface I would like to find a reliable reference. For those with experience with GD&T is it worth my while to spend the money on buying Y14.5 2018 from ASME (250$ ish) or will I be okay with 1994 revision and some articls on the changes made in the 2 new revisions?

Thanks!!

Hi everyone just finishing the final block of my apprenticeship in class. We had a class that focused on GD&T .. the teacher was clearly under qualified to be teaching the subject. For the sake of my own knowledge I am doing some research myself. I ended up finding a free copy of Y14.5 1994 pdf.. I know there was a revision done in 2009 and I have an article on the changes made. Looks like a new Revision just came out last month but finding any reliable information on that is not overly easy just yet. Due to text books often only scratching the surface I would like to find a reliable reference. For those with experience with GD&T is it worth my while to spend the money on buying Y14.5 2018 from ASME (250$ ish) or will I be okay with 1994 revision and some articls on the changes made in the 2 new revisions?

Thanks!!
i would not be spending money. many companies (you will work for) have books or electronic version employees can read for free. usually a little web searching you can also find free info. most companies you work for are going to help you with gd&t info and training for free.
its like buying $2000. worth of tools and then you work for a company that supplies all tools for free and doesnt even want to to bring in any tool boxes that take up valuable shop space. just saying a lot of what you need is supplied by who you work for. even books many companies will buy books for you if you request a book on the latest version of something needed for your job.
you want something to read when you work for company often a cnc will have 1000 to 3000 pages of operator, programming and maintenance manuals on it. usually take some time to read that.

The company I work for does not have any copys of the ASME standards. More of what I am asking is will I be able to get by with a copy of 14.5 1994 and a write up on the updates in 04 and 2018 or are the changes so drastic that 1994 is obsolete?

The company I work for does not have any copys of the ASME standards. More of what I am asking is will I be able to get by with a copy of 14.5 1994 and a write up on the updates in 04 and 2018 or are the changes so drastic that 1994 is obsolete?
your engineering and or inspection department if they have no copies should be able to buy a copy. usually if you ask boss and explain the need they usually approve buying books. dont expect it done in a hurry.
changes in GD&T if you asked 1000 machinist wouldnt surprise me if 99.9% couldnt tell you difference in GD&T over the years. sure many got a chart on symbols and i got a small book from my company on it for reference. not very often i need it but i got it if needed. many companies offer GD&T refresher training every so many years cause many of their employees dont use it very much
my point is i wouldnt buy a personal book on it. if i needed book i would ask my company to buy it. often at beginning of book they tell whats different in the newer version.

This depends what version the drawings are done to. Your title-block should say. If the drawing calls out ASME Y15.5-2009 then you really should have that one. If your employer doesn't have it request it w/ the justification included in the request. $250 is cheap for a shop big enough to care about proper GD&T.

Back