What's new
What's new

Assembling Rebuilt Bridgeport Table, Lead Screws, etc - Anything special?

Econdron

Hot Rolled
My neighbors sold their building, and had some plans for a Bridgeport of theirs, but last minute that fell through so they dropped it in a dumpster because they had to get out of the building and didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to sell it. Still doesn't make sense to me, but whatever, I took it for free out of the dumpster.

I'm slowly going through and taking it apart, and replacing damaged items. The head took a bit of a beating as it sheared the bolts that hold the worm gear in place to tilt the head. Took the head off and fixed that one, which was pretty straight forward. The rest of the damage is all on the longitudinal axis of the table. One handle, unfortunately the one with the Servo Powerfeed was completely destroyed. When the mill fell on it's side, it landed right on the powerfeed side of the table and shoved it through, which also broke off the handle end of the lead screw, broke out of the lead screw nuts, which also broke the yoke/bracket that holds the lead screw nuts.

I went online and found relatively inexpensive sources for genuine BP replacement parts (some used), and total it comes out to less than $300 (not including the Servo brand powerfeed). Everything is currently disassembled. So my question is, is there any specific instructions or tricks I should know about when reassembling this? I'm just not sure if there's a special procedure for installing any of these items, or if they pretty much all self-align themselves.

The table is ridiculously heavy, have help and some way to lift it. Also the lead screw only goes in one way, well, it’ll go, but one end is slightly different and will cause binding when running the table side to side if installed backwards.

+1 to Naru. The lead screw can be installed backwards. The longer bearing race on the end goes on the left hand side, the capture side, of the table.

I am assuming that since you have the table off, you have cleaned out the lube ports and lines and ensured you have oil getting to all of the ways? As the CNC guy here, that is one of the things I always ensure before I put a table on. It can be bad for acme or ball screws, but much more costly of an issue on ballscrews.

@Ted thanks for the plug!

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Back