Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Well I for one sure have issues with one particular werldwide shippers web page! If I choose "Smart Pick-up" after the cut-off time, and yet my guy picks it up or I deliver it to the terminal, my guy shows up the next day to pick that package up aggin as it is still on the system - forget the fact that it has likely already been delivered in the last few hours at this point. (puke) - Sure seems that someone could figger out how to fix that! - It also doesn't want to save one of my customer's address for some reason either, but ....When I asked the "Help" line about it, I get the canned answer "Did you clean up all the cookies and worsh the dishes first?" I got kind'a lippy with the one keyboarder there about if they ever actually read the questions or just always start with the same BS? -----------------------Think Snow Eh!Ox
    Well, I don;t know which shipper you are referring about, but at least my cousin's employer try's to get it right. Not throwing it out onto the general public (as described above
    as perfectly normal behavior).

Maybe your shippers IT department did the "brown acid" or is located in a state
    where Pot is now legal eh ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

T'is a bug from and update or change.. No big deal...Feedback from users will help isolate it..... This is not Amazon shipping or SDV software....I suspect the budget is a tad smaller..... If you can write and implement bug free code day after day you are a better man than me..... That could also make you a machinist that has never scrapped a part in their career. Should you fire a machinist for making a bad part?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, my boy is a programmer as well, and he did some "on site" werk for 1-2 weeks / time. (only a few times) in one of those states, and his biggest comment about it was that it "stunk" there, as everyone (not EVERY one, but ...) stunk like burnt ditch weed. - ------------------Think Snow Eh!Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    T'is a bug from and update or change.. No big deal...Feedback from users will help isolate it..... This is not Amazon shipping or SDV software....I suspect the budget is a tad smaller..... If you can write and implement bug free code day after day you are a better man than me..... That could also make you a machinist that has never scrapped a part in their career. Should you fire a machinist for making a bad part?
    I'd be fired as of 1 hour ago at least! - Dang endmill needed to stick out 2.8+ inches and then proceeded to pull out - in PLASTIC no less! -----------------Think Snow Eh!Ox

5. Likes CarbideBob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Yep...
    VBulitin is not the most stable code on the planet.
    And it relies on the database service.
    But they are pretty good at getting things fixed.
    In the meantime though a roll back might be in order.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Yep...
    VBulitin is not the most stable code on the planet.
    And it relies on the database service.
    But they are pretty good at getting things fixed.
    In the meantime though a roll back might be in order.
    NFW!!! They got more of it "right" than wrong.

A roll-back at this stage would be a turbo-compounded disaster!
    php is easy to code it, but OY! have you looked at how much bloat VB carries of it?

It is a marvel it works so well.

Further .. that's MouseSqueal+InnoDB grafted onto the buttlocks under VB.
    It ain't PostgreSQL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    Further .. that's MouseSqueal+InnoDB grafted onto the buttlocks under VB.
    It ain't PostgreSQL.
    Which is why my clients run PostgreSQL or..... they're not my clients. I only have a handful of clients, I only *want* a handful.

WRT testing, of course everyone tests, my labs have complete test environments with a copy of live data as of yesterday to test against. They have people assigned to test any changes as exhaustively as possible seeing as there's often a max 3 day window between detection of a genetic disorder and permanent effects from that disorder manifesting.

Guess what, bugs still slip through.

I'm not making excuses for this I'm merely recording reality.

As I've said if people don't like this or refuse to accept it, there's lots of career paths out there for people who write perfect code and do it against real-world deadlines, to a fixed price.

It's a hell of a lot harder than making widgets on a CNC machine running a stack of code THAT SOMEONE ELSE WROTE FOR YOU.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    My cousin in a long time programmer for a very large, worldwide shipping company.

They DO NOT drop program changes onto the customer, they have a "test database"
    Where the test, test, and retest.

The "customer" doesn't like an overnight shipment to be "stuck" at a hand off point,
    because of a software glitch.

In the case of this place, "hey it's a free concert from now on....and don't drop the
    brown acid man...."
    Doug, you are correct, but testing is expensive. Testing, can and often does, double or triple the cost of new code. In that light, non-critical code testing is normally left to the end user with beta releases (aka Microsoft).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    Aye.And William H. Gates, III would be a pauper? Or just another Lawster - as both his parents were?
    Bill Gates mother had a degree in education, and was not a lawyer. His father was a good one- a trial lawyer who worked for a living. The money came from mom's side, and, no Trey (bill gates) was never in danger of being a pauper, his trust fund paid to start microsoft.

11. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    Bill Gates mother had a degree in education, and was not a lawyer. His father was a good one- a trial lawyer who worked for a living. The money came from mom's side, and, no Trey (bill gates) was never in danger of being a pauper, his trust fund paid to start microsoft.
    irelevabt to this topic but a fun fact is that the first customer and employer of Bill Gates and Paul Allen, Ed Roberts of Altair computer fame, was a PM. Member here for a few years before he died. I only knew that as I once sold him an Emco Maximat 11 lathe and some conversation flowed from that sale. Gates visited Roberts in his Macon, GA hospital room a few days before Ed passed away.

13. Likes Ox, BugRobotics liked this post