What's new
What's new

Auction Bullshit - changed terms post auction

snowman

Diamond
High bidder on one item at a recent proxio auction on bidspotter.

Two days following the auction, they had to delay first day of removal...no big deal. It happens, I get it.

Three days following the auction they sent out an email stating that due to parent company remodel plans, removal was going to be delayed at least two weeks, and they'd email everyone with further plans once they know them.

Now...I'm a pretty flexible guy when it comes to plans that go awry...but I also expect to be taken care of from a customer service point of view. And I know for a fact that when my parents were doing tiny $20,000 estate sales for people, they had contracts that spelled out full control of sale site.

On top of this, I pay with my credit card only to get hit with a foreign atm charge because the auction company is based out of Canada, even though the auction site is in Michigan.

So how common is this with the bigger auction houses? I've been to hundreds of auctions, but they have all been local small time auction houses where generally I know the auctioneer, I know the guys "helping" me loadout, and I know that they are going to bust their asses to make it a good experience.

Terms are terms. I would bet if you told em you couldnt pick something up for two weeks they would hold you to the removal time stated. Them changing after the close sounds no good. If i were not in a good mood or had other plans that this 2 week delay fouled up id be calling every 4 hours. Sounds like they got your money and now dont care

Piss them off to much and your stuff may not receive the same kinda tender love as before. Shit happens, save the ass chewing until after you are loaded.

I would check with the licensing authority of the area in which the auction occurred. It could be an illegal act. Auctioneers do go to jail for violating their responsibilities. It works both ways for the auctioneer and the bidder, which is why they explain at the beginning of every auction the terms of sale.

They probably have this covered in their contract but if the delay is costing you money let them know. Sounds like the blocked the machinery in. I wouldn't be happy!
After this thread gets about 30 posts forward a link to the auction company. Let them see the opinions of potential customers. This forum is a strong customer base for machinery buyers. Hit them where it hurts. Negative advertising.
Start by naming the auction service and the seller. I dont want to even look at their website. They are not considering the inconvenience they may have caused. Or dont care once they get paid.

That smells really rotten. Corporate is holding up removal of items due to a remodel? It defies belief. I'd guess there is something else going on. It is the buyers' property now. Are they assuming responsibility for loss or damage?

Good thing you paid with a CC. Anything could happen during a delay like that. Imagine if you had wired them real money. How would someone take action against a foreign auction house?

How does a foreign corporation conduct an auction in the US? Who is the local license holder?

Was it this auction?

Auctioneers Terms and Conditions - BATTERY MATERIALS R&D PLANT & LABS - Rochester Hills, Michigan ** 2-Day Online Auction** - Timed Online Auction - The Proxio Group Ltd - BidSpotter.com

Lots located in Rochester Hills, Michigan.. Inspection Feb 14 & 15 by appointment. Please contact the auctioneers office to schedule your visit.

Bidding opens Monday Feb 11 2019 at 7:00 AM Eastern Time

Lots 1 to 749 Begin Ending Feb 19, 2019 starting at 9:00 AM Eastern Time

Lots 750 and higher Begin Ending Feb 20, 2019 at 9:00 AM Eastern Time.

Removal: Removal must be completed by March 15, 2019. Items not removed by this date will be considered abandoned by the buyer.

Small Item Open Removal: February 25th to March 1st

Yes...that is the auction.

I’m not calling authorities or anything, I just want my purchases, in the condition they were in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So yeah, I was just curious if this is more common with the larger auction houses. Most of the auctions I've participated in up until now have been local auctioneers that are often contracted either by the plant owner (individual) or bankruptcy court. In this case, it's a multinational corporation. Thus my question, is crap like this more common with the multinational corporation, or is this just a fluke??

I really don't want to get the auction company in any trouble, I just want my crap. I made plans around getting the items that were purchased and transporting them to another site.

And it's not a remodel...I completely screwed that up. The first email that was sent out said that there was activity at the site that precluded us from being able to load out. I made the assumption that it was contractors getting the place ready for sale/transfer. Here is the second email. So they are trying to be accommodating, and are likely just as annoyed...if not more, since it's their name that I'm now dragging through the mud.

Dear Bidders,
We would like to thank you again for participating in the auction at Rochester Hills, Michigan on February 19th and 20th.

It was just brought to our attention by our corporate client, BASF, that we will have to delay the checkout of auction purchases due to their Plant Closure and Decommissioning Process.

This process is underway, but is approximately 2 weeks behind schedule.

We will have a revised checkout schedule on March 8, but we anticipate being able to commence checkout the week of March 11, 2019,

In order to facilitate your load out, if you require the use of a forklift, we will make one available to you at no charge. (Does not include dismantling, skidding, crating or rigging).

Again, we apologize for the delay and the inconvenience this has caused, and please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.
Sincerely,

The Proxio Group Ltd,

Call the state attorney general. I was surprised once by getting help from the Mo. Attorney general. One phone call from the right person can get action. Looking at the removal schedule for the auction I would want proof that they are delaying you. They could say you failed to remove in the time limit.
I dont know if being patient is better. It's just hard to understand why they are making you wait. Remodel B.S.
I understand the concern of getting it in the condition you bought it.
Notify someone in an official capacity of the situation so you have some proof of the delay.

Edit: It looks like you were posted while I was typing. That looks like you have proof of the delay.

Snowman:

I'm in the same boat - I even had a 9am Tuesday load out appointment (my items were all hand carry). Of my 7 winning lots, I would be very annoyed to not get them 5 of them.

I'm out of town the 5th thru the 21 of Mar. I sent a response to the delay email from the auction house noting that I did not want to forfeit or abandon my items but that I was unavailable to pick up prior to the 21 of March nor did I have anyone else to do the pick up for me. No response to my e-mail.

I was intending to pay cash on site - sucks to find out that I might have to pay a FTF on top of the extra 3% to use a credit card.

Snowman:

I'm in the same boat - I even had a 9am Tuesday load out appointment (my items were all hand carry). Of my 7 winning lots, I would be very annoyed to not get them 5 of them.

I'm out of town the 5th thru the 21 of Mar. I sent a response to the delay email from the auction house noting that I did not want to forfeit or abandon my items but that I was unavailable to pick up prior to the 21 of March nor did I have anyone else to do the pick up for me. No response to my e-mail.

I was intending to pay cash on site - sucks to find out that I might have to pay a FTF on top of the extra 3% to use a credit card.

Hey...I'm not excited to offer because I'm constantly slammed, but I try to be helpful when I can. If they don't get back to you and give you other options, feel free to contact me. As long as they collect your stuff, I can grab it. Biggest problem is I live 20 miles west of Cabelas in Dundee.

So whatever happened with this?

I'm having something similar happen right now, before the holiday with an auction in Michigan. The auction was wednesday. Right after, the pop up comes up "You scum bidders better pay your invoices by NOON TOMORROW or ELSE!!!"

Then no invoice is received day of sale. The next morning, Thursday, still no invoice. They send a notice that they are reviewing bids and invoices will be out later today. Later they a new notice, they are dealing with some "unforseen circumstances with the seller"..

This is an awkward time - the holiday weekend. Many folks wanted to get their smalls and their machines out of there on thursday and friday before the holiday weekend and spring break, etc.

Wonder what is up?

Fhings can get nasty .....once I bought heaps of stuff at a power plant auction......picked up the invoice at the office,delivery was delayed six months ,... next, mail notified every lot had a $1,000 levy for asbestos removal...........then the crowd who bought the turbo generator dropped it through the building.....200 tons .......lucky I used a fake name ,and only lost the $100 bidders registration.

snowman:

Did you ever get your items or get scheduled for pick-up?

I made my payment on the 21st of Mar and forwarded info the the email provided for scheduling my pick-up. After days of not hearing anything, I sent a follow-up email on the 26th to the pick up scheduler - never did hear back from him. Yesterday I got a message for the auction house w/ the list of unsold item (people who backed out due to the ongoing delays). I fired back a message that it was amateur hour on both the BASF decommissioning manager and the auction house. This auction is truly getting to be a joke - if I didn't really want 4 of my 7 items I would cancel my credit card payment and walk away.

Back