What's new
What's new

Auto Parts Manufacturing

Force10

Plastic
Hi, I've created a couple of automotive suspension parts (arms) that I'm looking to have manufactured on a pretty small scale since there is not a huge demand. That being the case I've been looking at Chinese auto parts manufacturers on alibaba and getting quotes. After getting about 8 responses the company that I really like the best and who already makes similar suspension parts does not have an ISO/TS 16949 certification. Is this something to be concerned with? Also the main arms will be made out of 7075 T6 aluminum, but how would I even verify that they used this type of aluminum and not something cheaper? I have the same concern with the bushings. How can I be sure that they're not using low quality rubber that will decay in a couple of years. Please let me know your thoughts on what you think the best way to proceed would be and any other things you feel I should be aware of. This will be my first auto part manufacturing experience, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for any thoughtful insight.
Sean

Hi, I've created a couple of automotive suspension parts (arms) that I'm looking to have manufactured on a pretty small scale since there is not a huge demand. That being the case I've been looking at Chinese auto parts manufacturers on alibaba and getting quotes. After getting about 8 responses the company that I really like the best and who already makes similar suspension parts does not have an ISO/TS 16949 certification. Is this something to be concerned with? Also the main arms will be made out of 7075 T6 aluminum, but how would I even verify that they used this type of aluminum and not something cheaper? I have the same concern with the bushings. How can I be sure that they're not using low quality rubber that will decay in a couple of years. Please let me know your thoughts on what you think the best way to proceed would be and any other things you feel I should be aware of. This will be my first auto part manufacturing experience, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for any thoughtful insight.
Sean

First off, you are posting on an American (/anglosphere) manufacturing website for American, UK, Australian, etc. manufacturers. Not many going to be willing to help you source your bits overseas.

That being said, if you want to work with manufacturers in China, you must go in person. They are much less likely to cheat you if you are a real person to them. If you are just a part number online, some or all your worst fears from your post will come true.

Last edited:
I have the same concern with the bushings. How can I be sure that they're not using low quality rubber that will decay in a couple of years.

How old are you? You can't be serious. Rubber products from 3rd world countries are notorious for being poorly made. My best easiest example is wiper blades, they barely last 6 months these days. Check out the rubber air hoses from India and China at Harbor Freight, a lot of them are sticky like they weren't even cured correctly.

With used machinery at such bargain prices in the US might you set up a shop..If it is not to late and the China guys will be making it next week.
Try to buy the same rubber product that the big outfits use.

Plus you might be surprised how low prices you can get from a small shop,or a one horse operation.

Retail price is often a far distance from bid price or manufacturing costs.

In the auto production world TS 16949 is now dead.
It is now IATF with some added stuff.
In the aftermarket world you can do anything you damn well please.

Inside all these certs old and new are CSRs or Customer Specific Requirements.
Here is where you spec things like the rubber used, testing or material certs..
CSRs are a add on on top of the QC system specs. GM, Ford, Toyota will all have their own paragraphs that need to be done.
Bob

I'd like to see your product liability insurance policy, or be there when you ask an insurance agent to cover a user installed, Chinese made, critical suspension component.

I'd like to see your product liability insurance policy, or be there when you ask an insurance agent to cover a user installed, Chinese made, critical suspension component.

You have about 8 layers of paperwork and a website covered in "off road use only" ... I have a friend that manufactures suspension stuff, he has no insurance and the business that sells the parts owns nothing.

OP what are your target quantities? Casted or machined? What car are they for?

That being said, if you want to work with manufacturers in China, you must go in person. They are much less likely to cheat you if you are a real person to them. If you are just a part number online, some or all your worst fears from your post will come true.
It's not just a one-time thing, either. You need someone there. Taiwan is the same, btw. Except their trick is to do 90% of the work, then leave you hanging until you give up and take a 90% done part.

As mentioned elsewhere, it might be easier to get this done locally.

Or maybe not, a lot of people don't want to work these days, or they have ridiculous overhead that they cannot control (e.g. motionguru's $600,000 into permits, fees and reviews before he even touched a shovel. That's bullshit.)

Insurance is betting against yourself. Fuck 'em. Just make sure there is nothing traceable to you, or nothing you can't live without. Lawyers won't even bother if you have nothing they can steal. Blood out of a turnip, as they say.

You have about 8 layers of paperwork and a website covered in "off road use only" ... I have a friend that manufactures suspension stuff, he has no insurance and the business that sells the parts owns nothing.

OP what are your target quantities? Casted or machined? What car are they for?

Kustomizingkid, thank you for your response. Since it's too difficult to determine the demand, I'm looking to manufacture version 1 using CNC. I'm going to make about 100 pieces of each part. There are two parts so total of 200 pieces. If at that point there is a good demand then I will make a forge mold.

Can you PM me the name of the manufacturer that your friend is using? I'm assuming he's happy with them?

Thanks!

How old are you? You can't be serious. Rubber products from 3rd world countries are notorious for being poorly made. My best easiest example is wiper blades, they barely last 6 months these days. Check out the rubber air hoses from India and China at Harbor Freight, a lot of them are sticky like they weren't even cured correctly.

While I totally agree with you about Harbor Freight quality this does not mean all rubber from China is crap. This is actually the biggest reason for my original post. How do you make sure you get quality materials. They do exist there. Also being condescending with the "How old are you?" remark is unfortunate.

In the auto production world TS 16949 is now dead.
It is now IATF with some added stuff.
In the aftermarket world you can do anything you damn well please.

Inside all these certs old and new are CSRs or Customer Specific Requirements.
Here is where you spec things like the rubber used, testing or material certs..
CSRs are a add on on top of the QC system specs. GM, Ford, Toyota will all have their own paragraphs that need to be done.
Bob

This is really helpful. Thank you, Bob.

Kustomizingkid, thank you for your response. Since it's too difficult to determine the demand, I'm looking to manufacture version 1 using CNC. I'm going to make about 100 pieces of each part. There are two parts so total of 200 pieces. If at that point there is a good demand then I will make a forge mold.

Can you PM me the name of the manufacturer that your friend is using? I'm assuming he's happy with them?

Thanks!

He makes everything himself in house.

What car?

You can't really do China that way. Well, you can but it's a recipe for disaster :)

You need to go and look yourself. And you need to know what you are looking at. And you need to know what questions to ask, or which to sneak around and not ask, but observe for yourself.

Photos and reports from happy customers are not reliable. They are a starting point.

If it's not worth going around for a week or ten days visiting shops, then it's better to not do it.

You can't really do China that way. Well, you can but it's a recipe for disaster :)

You need to go and look yourself. And you need to know what you are looking at. And you need to know what questions to ask, or which to sneak around and not ask, but observe for yourself.

Photos and reports from happy customers are not reliable. They are a starting point.

If it's not worth going around for a week or ten days visiting shops, then it's better to not do it.

Well noted. Thank you, Emanuel.

A customer of mine contracted with a company in China to make a simple stamped part, looking for a bargain. He got it but had to send many first trial parts back over a series of months before finally getting his first acceptable part.

You can't get anything made anywhere with a guarantee that the material used is the same that you specified. Your best chance is to work with vendors you know and trust, that likely won't be offshore. You could also do lab testing on sample parts but that would require destroying parts to test, paying for and understanding the test results. If your parts involve welding they're also likely to involve heat treating which adds another layer of complication.
I don't understand those who say the only way to make it work is to go there. What are you going to do stand over their shoulder the entire time? If not how do you know what will happen when you are not there.

Keep in mind that 7075-T6, while strong, does not have good corrosion resistance properties relative to 6061. So if all the parts stay in CA you're fine, but if some wind up in salt-using states you'll want to think about the implications.

Keep in mind that 7075-T6, while strong, does not have good corrosion resistance properties relative to 6061. So if all the parts stay in CA you're fine, but if some wind up in salt-using states you'll want to think about the implications.

True but after being anodized they should be okay right?

While I totally agree with you about Harbor Freight quality this does not mean all rubber from China is crap. This is actually the biggest reason for my original post. How do you make sure you get quality materials. They do exist there. Also being condescending with the "How old are you?" remark is unfortunate.

How old are you wasn't meant to be condescending. Some people aren't old enough to remember when their wasn't a huge amount of rubber products that are low quality sourced from 3rd world countries. A lot of rubber automotive products do not last like they used to. I can remember when wiper blades lasted for years.

Back