What's new
What's new

Auto saw parts catcher?

Josh@OTTP

Plastic
I bought an auto band saw and its great, but I'm looking for ways to handle the cut stock coming off of it. I'm curious what everyone else is using?

Edit:

Shop space and budget is low. Looking for a solution for aluminum parts, something that can handle a 12ft bars length at a time and not damage the material. It can be emptied after every bar. Figure 3"-9" long parts out of a 12 ft bar.

I bought an auto band saw and its great, but I'm looking for ways to handle the cut stock coming off of it. I'm curious what everyone else is using?

5 gallon bucket

So depends on what you are doing. IF the parts will damage each other you may want to have a ramp or something down into your container of choice

5 gallon bucket

So depends on what you are doing. IF the parts will damage each other you may want to have a ramp or something down into your container of choice

That's what I was using for some light stainless parts. I have a bunch of 2-5 lb 6061 parts to cut and one side is only getting a face skim of .020", so I will look at making a ramp.

An outfeed table usually works OK, coplanar to the infeed rollers and with a fence in line with the infeed fence, long enough to handle 30 minutes or so worth of cutting

Linear vibrator can be used, build a trough, put this under it, will shake the trough
and cause the parts to move in the direction you want.

They can move them uphill slightly, so the coolant won't follow the parts to the bin.

I'm in the primitive 5-gal bucket group with gustafson, but if I had to deal with a lot of small rolly cutoffs of soft metal I would think about a conveyer belt of some sort, perhaps an adjustable speed spiralling worm in a trough. Some automatics have something like that for chip clearance. Might help if you could describe your problem in a bit more detail (e.g., size, matl, number,...)

added as an edit: sorry, just noticed the above few posts went up while I was typing this one

-Marty-

Back