What's new
What's new

Automatic bandsaws, need to buy one

kpotter

Diamond
I need to purchase an automatic bandsaw, We are cutting about 3000 cuts per month of the same 2 inch solid round stock. I have been looking at hydmech 230 a saws they are around 25 grand. Would I be better off buying used doall or amada. I have seen some inexpensive saws in the 10 grand range I dont know if they would hold up. I am open to new or nice used.

i have a Doall and when I use up the stack of blades I well be buying a HEM saw... Doall builds a OK saw but for the same money I can get a HEN saw and there way better built from what I have seen ,, nice used ones go for about 6 or 7K in seattle area ,,

We are in the process of installing a new deba/pedinghaus auto mitering saw - which is a bit more than your price. It is replacing a hyd mech s-20 auto which was ok (sold for scrap+, it was worn out beyond fixing). On the other hand we are replacing our hyd mech v 18 with a new one. The vertical is 20 years old, run hard and rough and can hold .1 degrees over a 16" cut at production speeds (7 ipm on 2"), It has vfd issue and a few bolts that need checked daily now. I think we just sold it for 2g- will check this week with numbers person.
HeM's are straight cutting, and not sure if just ours (48" post saw) but we need to redo all the hydraulics 10 years in. I like both on service, but all hydraulic valves is big deal.

I need to purchase an automatic bandsaw, We are cutting about 3000 cuts per month of the same 2 inch solid round stock. I have been looking at hydmech 230 a saws they are around 25 grand. Would I be better off buying used doall or amada. I have seen some inexpensive saws in the 10 grand range I dont know if they would hold up. I am open to new or nice used.

More useful number might be 3,000 over 21 single-shift 8 hour working days, but, but, but...

It has to be fed and taken-away, not run "lights out". Plus we can presume your staffing is leaner than average and there are other priorities as commonly cause high-priority diversions?

So...

How many cuts to the ACTUAL or "pragmatically available" working hour do you need to sustain .. or improve on for at least near-term "future-proofing" and not risk it becoming a production bottleneck?

As a means of production on the "critical path", what is "plan B" if it is down for a time for repair?

Are two lesser saws, or one grand, one less-grand, with emergency-coverage overtime, the safer move?

"Got all that covered already" is the expected answer, but "just in case."

:)

Is it possible/feasible to have your material vendor cut them to size? Just as an example, if your slugs are 1" long @ 3k/month, that is 250+ FEET of material. I imagine your supplier would work with you on a acceptable fee per cut that might pan out better than spending 10-20k on a used auto saw...

We have an Amada HA250 that we bought new 20 years ago. Don't think we have ever needed service. Change hydraulic oil and filter regularly. Cuts straight and fast, very dependable.

Is it possible/feasible to have your material vendor cut them to size? Just as an example, if your slugs are 1" long @ 3k/month, that is 250+ FEET of material. I imagine your supplier would work with you on a acceptable fee per cut that might pan out better than spending 10-20k on a used auto saw...

I was thinking the same thing!

There's a local business and that is all they do, the material is shipped directly to them, they cut the slugs to size in automatic cold saws, no handling of material on your part, no taking up floor space!

I have seen their business triple in size in the last couple of years, they do nothing else but cut bar stock!

I would see if someone in your area does this?

Kevin

If you're just cutting 2" OD parts, then give a look to automatic circular saws before you start staring a band saws.

A circular saw will blow through 3000 cuts. Be sure to look at the cost of the blade though.

Why not put the $25k toward a CNC Lathe with a 2" through hole? 3,000 parts a month should justify the purchase.

DiggerDoug's question is a good one. If down stream they are faced and chamfered a used single spindle screw machine might be the ticket. Traub A60s and B60s can be had for scrap prices.

The best saw I ever worked on was a " Kasto ". It had everything, you name it, that saw had it. Nothing wrong with " Amada " but it's like comparing a " Toyota " with a " Mercedes-Benz ".

Regards Tyrone.

At the old shop I ordered a Hydmech H320A and after a HUGE lead time (parts are a problem, evidently) we had issues with the blade wandering.

Was at a place with an H14A (the next step up from the H320A) and they were having the same problems. They had order the H320A at the same time we had but couldn't get on so ended up with a big discount on the better one. It was working, but I don't think they would buy another. I know I wouldn't.

Was easier to get help from blade manufacturers than from the dealer or Hydmech.

Bottom line if you can step up to a 1.5" blade. Only so much you can do with the 1.25".

If I ever wear out my Kalamazoo I will buy an Amada.

You can probably buy a 20 year old Amada use it for another 20 years and sell it for more than you paid for it.

I can't imagine doing 100 cuts a day on a manual bandsaw if you can afford even a couple grand for a used old auto saw. I've done that more times than I can count, but the first chance I got to buy a cheap auto saw I jumped on it and never looked back.

I am currently farming out all the cutting, we have been farming it out for the past 7 years. I am currently spending 20 grand a year on saw cutting. I want to bring it in house now that we have the room. We bought a larger building and have room for a saw line. I am hoping to cut around 100 pieces a day or more. It is all solid mild steel bar.

Back