What's new
What's new

Automatic thread deburring

Ally369

Plastic
Hi folks, is it possible within a G76 canned threading cycle to use a command to get the toolpath of the threading insert to automatically deburr both internal and external threads? If not how do I go about this. Our programs come down from production engineering but we are free to edit and program as we see fit. My machine is a Doosan Lynx 300 with a Fanuc I series controller. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am using a full profile inserts. The burr I am talking about is the one that is created at the start of the thread form as the thread is cutting to the full major thread dia and the one at the thread exit point.

Oh, that's harder :o

The really slick way is to mill a ramp for the start and stop, look up "Higbee thread start."

I don't have spindle sync or live tools in my lathe, so the best I can do is cut chamfers that are the depth of the thread, at the start and stop, then thread, then come back and recut those chamfers. This still folds a bit of material back into the thread, but that is easily cleaned up outside the machine.

Regards.

Mike

A generous chamfer on the hole is the answer to that problem with manual threading. The thread cutting burr simply winds up inside the chamfer where it can be ignored. Wouldn't that work for CNC too? Yea, I know it's a tool change.

Yeah chamfers are machined on but I know there is a way to produce threads on a cnc control where there is no need for deburring. I just don't know how to do it. We make high specification parts for a controlled boring system which is used on horizontal borers. We manufacture the parts for this and build the boring bar system in house.

Finegrain is right.

Look up *Higbee thread start* on here and look at this: YouTube

These videos show how to get started at least. Pick the ones that say Higbee or blunt start threads. This works on both ends of the threads.

Hi folks, is it possible within a G76 canned threading cycle to use a command to get the toolpath of the threading insert to automatically deburr both internal and external threads? If not how do I go about this. Our programs come down from production engineering but we are free to edit and program as we see fit. My machine is a Doosan Lynx 300 with a Fanuc I series controller. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alot of it has to do with the type of material your using and how you cut it.

I have alwasy finished o.d. chamfer and relief, cut thread to size then run another finish pass on o.d. chamfer and relief, then hit the thread again.

its worked for me for the last 30+ years. extreamly little deburring if that, but again it depends on material and tooling. if you have a problem with it a wire brush attached to a tool holder works for od stuff and a bottle brush to a tool holder for id stuff I like gun cleaning brushes.
depending on the material brushs can be wire nylon brass etc etc

Back