What's new
What's new

Availability of aluminum plate 6061 or 7075

ferretlegger

Aluminum
Hello all,
I was speaking with a manufacturer of specialized off-road gearing and transfer cases, and they were telling me that they cannot find aluminum plate to make the interface plates they use to mate transfer cases and other gearing. They were reluctant to share the alloy details, but on a part of their website they mention "6061 billet". The interface plates come in several types, but the thickest looks like 2" to 2.5", with a footprint, for the sake of discussion, of 1 foot square before machining. The thinner plates look like .75" to 1" thick, perhaps thinner. They seemed to believe that since the tariffs went into effect, aluminum plate in this size is unobtainable, and that unnamed mega investors had essentially bought up all of it in order to drive up the prices (if I understood them correctly).

I did a quick search online, and was able to find stock in the 2"-2.5" thickness from a number of vendors. I thought that I would reach out to those of you who are machining lots of 6061 and/or 7075 to see what your experiences were, and if there are any vendors you would recommend. I would very much like to buy products from this manufacturer, and until they start making interface plates, I cannot.

If there is any useful feedback that I can give them to help with their material supply issues, I will pass it on to them.

Thanks!
Michael

Superior Die Set Corp. would sell you FORTAL plate last I knew. This is an improved version of 7075. I bought from them through H/O Die Supply in Dallas. Asked for and got certs from maker.

I think what they're telling you translates to, "We cannot find aluminum plate, for what we want to pay for it" We buy 6061 and 7075 plate from 2" to 8" every day. It's not a problem.

I think what they're telling you translates to, "We cannot find aluminum plate, for what we want to pay for it" We buy 6061 and 7075 plate from 2" to 8" every day. It's not a problem.

Sounds right. Parts that size (12" wide and under) are often made from extruded bar rather than sawn from plate, because it's less expensive, and maybe their regular supplier is out of that size bar. Or they are covering up for some other problem - there's lots of aluminum available.

Or, We have over-extended our credit lines and no one will sell to us until we clear up the past due. Regardless, what you can understand is that they are willing to serve up the bullshit and those mega-investors are pretty damn selective - lol.

But its BILLET!!!!

Super rare, and super strong... Imagine if it was Air-Craft grade, Mil Spec BILLET!!!!!

Because as we all know.. The bestest-est and strongest and rarest of all material BILLET!!!!!
comes from a 3rd world country.

I bought BILLET!!!!! once.. Certified and everything. Best cert I ever saw.. Written
in red crayon. "It's Billet Bitch.. What more do you need to know?"

They are blowing smoke up your ass.. First because they even used the word "billet".. And
second saying they can't get ali plate... They just don't want to sell you parts. Actually,
they might want to sell you stuff, but they don't want to make it.

Back