What's new
What's new

Tractor Top Link Threading

SB10L

Aluminum
What are my best alternatives or possibilities for chasing the threads in this top link? Maybe a tap with a 6 inch shank but not sure I have ever seen such as that. The threads are 1 1/16" UNF and are the same dimensions on both ends of the body except one end is right hand thread and the other end is left hand thread.

I have a picture that I will try and post in a reply as it will not let me do it when creating a new thread

Thanks,
Eddie

Here is the picture with the dimensions and showing the threads on both ends.

Attachments

• Top Link 1.jpg
    Top Link 1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,720
We relly need more info.

There are a good few possible methods,......... why do they need chasing?........ corrosion?.... damage? ...... something else?

Normaly if there just rusty a realy stiff wire bottle brush and some heat will soon clean them up. Failing that - instead of have a look at electrolitic rust removal. With some cretive electrods you can do realy realy deep holes!

There just seems to be a lot of build up old dried grease scale maybe some light rust and such as that not any damage to the threads that I am aware of. I can't really see that well to know exactly. I have an old link end that the threads are very worn down on and it goes in very easily. I have a new link end with nice threads and it starts but is much tighter and when backed out the threads have all the black scale on them. I could probably go on in with it but just thought it would be better if I could just run something like a tap through them to clean them first.

Do you have the necessary LH and RH taps? Have you priced them? I don't have any idea what they might cost, but being a cheapskate, unless they were giving them away, I'd probably just grab some suitable scrap and make a quickie thread chaser -- if all you are needing to do is scrape out the rust and gunk, and for a one-time use, I would think you could get away without hardening it.

No I do not have them and looking at some of the prices they may be around 130-150 for a 6" shank. I guess I will just have to try a 1 1/4" diameter 1/4" shank wire brush on a 12" extension and hope for the best.

No I do not have them and looking at some of the prices they may be around 130-150 for a 6" shank. I guess I will just have to try a 1 1/4" diameter 1/4" shank wire brush on a 12" extension and hope for the best.

You could just buy an entire new top link. Not like they're rare or expensive.

PDW

I'd probably just grab some suitable scrap and make a quickie thread chaser -- if all you are needing to do is scrape out the rust and gunk, and for a one-time use, I would think you could get away without hardening it.

That's what I would do,............ have done it many times on exctly the same job,....... failing facilities for making a chaser, get a long bolt (old rod end??;)) grind / file some flutes in the end and work it to and fro in the thread withdrawing it to clean out the flutes etc etc....... fwiw WD40 helps a lot to soften the old muck.

This job realy isn't rocket science:)

Back