What's new
What's new

AVM - AV125 lathe... Is any Good?

That looks to be what is call a second Op lathe ,short bed no tail stock . May or may not cut threads. If that is going to be your only lathe pass !! Also most likely 3 phase power ,not a big issue but something to consider.

Hello,
I have found a used lathe (brand: AVM Model: AV125). Does anyone have one like this or know if this lathe's brand is reliable. I read on the internet that is made in Italy.

https://i.postimg.cc/HLfqWmX5/24801994-1-b.jpg

What John said. Built for some sort of niche market or production use.

Not a good candidate for general-purpose "engine" lathe use. You'd be fighting its limitatons more often than gaining any advantage from them.

3-Phase for-sure. "Metric" on the feed dials as well, but as it doesn't thread, "BFD".

Otherwise... (Northern) Italian firms built rather a lot of decent machine-tools. Only a few makers were of any significant size, financially.

Some of the old-line companies are still around. However.. that doesn't mean PARTS are. A firm that once made a whole line of good all-manual lathes and still exists?

Has usually "gone 100% CNC". But... is part of a larger firm, and all the survivors still make .... might be the specialized TOOLING! Rare they even still have any records, let alone staff who even remember "the old days".

Makers in Basque country Spain are much the same - but might actually be more likely to still have parts!

it looks like is hasn't been used for some time and even before that it hasn't seen much use.
the tailstock might just be in the cabinet along with the change wheels for the threading.
if they are it should be a nice little lathe.

Back