What's new
What's new

Awesome Nuts

crossthread

Titanium
As a retired Urologist I thought I had seen every kind of nut imaginable.......just kidding. My son is a mechanical engineer at Philip Morris. They have allthread screwed into anchors in the concrete ceilings which hold various cable ways and pipes in fours layers. He was working up a work order to remove all the layers up to the third level which is the only place that had enough headroom to install new equipment. A machinist came into his office and dumped a box of these nuts on his desk and told him that they could add nuts anywhere on the allthread without taking the whole thing apart. Brilliant.

20201129_082802.jpg20201129_083142.jpg20201129_083801.jpg20201129_083655.jpg

My guess is they are OK for some light duty stuff, but much weaker than a normal nut.

I also suspect they are best tightened with one of these:

Attachments

• pos socket.jpg
    pos socket.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 57
Here is a little more detail:
Large Nut.jpg

And available (of course) at McM as you would exect and listed as "Steel Slip-On Twist-Close Nuts"

I suppose Loctite would hold them in closed position. Is that true?

Denis

Those nuts have a very low rating. I think they can hold more then 100 pounds. We use these to install cover plates on existing all thread going through walls.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a relative - the kind with two left thumbs - who is enamored with all of that kind of junk. He simply has no mechanical aptitude, and doesn't get why it's not a better mousetrap.

He has lots of tools, all of them are garbage. Hammers with the curvy ergonomic handles, dog bone wrenches made of stamped steel, screwdriver sets with one handle and 12 different can opener attachments, it goes on and on. It's like someone invented a human - him - who is the poster child for Black & Decker and Harbor Freight rolled into one.

The fact that McMaster sells them proves they are of some value and some quality. But only in a very limited band of applications. Brilliant? Well.....as a practicing amateur urologist, I'd put them on par with my vacuum powered prostate emptier that needs to be inflated and looks lile Marilyn Monroe from the side.

And if it falls ?

Into some machinery ? Onto some workers ?
Disconnecting what kind of wiring as it falls down ?
Office Muzak ? or building/process controls ?

Hyatt Regency walkway collapse - Wikipedia

Well, you can 'what if' yourself into doing nothing at all or spending 10 times the effort and money. A walkway and a raceway are not the same thing. Looks like a good solution for the stated problem.

They are completely adequate for the job at hand. The machinists down there have been using them for years with no failures. They have some extremely deep pockets so they don't do things half assed. Brilliant? Yes. I think they are a brilliant and elegant design. They do not loctite them. Once all the threads are engaged they act like a regular nut and they use a lock washer to secure them.

And here is another solution to the problem. It looks like you could apply this to the all-thread, snug it up to the bracket and then cinch up the screws to prevent further rotation. Hmmm, lots of clever designers out there....Split Nut.jpg
Denis

These are fantastic and I think perfect for the OP's son's intended application. I'm curious about everyone's skepticism about them. One said "Those nuts have a very low rating. I think they can hold more then 100 pounds" (I assume he meant "no more than"). Another said "My guess is they are OK for some light duty stuff, but much weaker than a normal nut." Why MUCH weaker than a normal nut?

We all know that a "normal" nut is stronger than the underlying threads. I look at these and think, OK, probably weaker than a standard nut, but not MUCH weaker, maybe 10-20% weaker? But a max 100 pounds of load is laughable. I guess it would be pretty easy to test given sufficient motivation (which OP's son's application would probably provide).

I'm genuinely curious as to the thinking of the skeptics. The OP said "cable ways and pipes", not an F1 car's suspension.

Jeff

These are fantastic and I think perfect for the OP's son's intended application. I'm curious about everyone's skepticism about them. One said "Those nuts have a very low rating. I think they can hold more then 100 pounds" (I assume he meant "no more than"). Another said "My guess is they are OK for some light duty stuff, but much weaker than a normal nut." Why MUCH weaker than a normal nut?

We all know that a "normal" nut is stronger than the underlying threads. I look at these and think, OK, probably weaker than a standard nut, but not MUCH weaker, maybe 10-20% weaker? But a max 100 pounds of load is laughable. I guess it would be pretty easy to test given sufficient motivation (which OP's son's application would probably provide).

I'm genuinely curious as to the thinking of the skeptics. The OP said "cable ways and pipes", not an F1 car's suspension.

Jeff

I think you are on the right track in all regards stated above. But there is no need to have six young guys suspend themselves from one to test its strength. Because it would carry them and more. A zinc-plated1/2-13 is rated at 1350 pounds.

Split Nut Rating.jpg
I am sorry I cannot seem to resize the above to be more legible.
Here is the link: https://images.tradeservice.com/9ETBOIYK8205G6UU/ATTACHMENTS/DIR100167/BLINESE01366_45_57.pdf Then scroll down a couple pages.

Denis

Last edited:

Back