What's new
What's new

AXA vs OXA tool post on mini-lathe 7x12 7x14, 7x16

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolleikin

Plastic
I have a 7x12 Grizzly 8688 lathe and i am considering upgrading from the standard 4-way tool post to a QCTP, but I am confused by the overlap between AXA and OXA and would like some guidance on which to pick.

Please, do not offer any other advice beyond OXA vs AXA. I have no desire to experiment or upgrade anything else. My budget is limited.

My observations
- Both tool posts and holders take the same size tools: 1/2" (12mm) max.
- AXA is more easily found
- The price difference is nominal between the two.
- AXA is inherently more rigid due to size and mass
- they both overlap in the 6" to 9" lathe size (I know AXA can go up to 12" but not relevant to my issue).

Any guidance on this matter is welcome.

Thank you.
Andrei

I have a 7x12 Grizzly 8688 lathe and i am considering upgrading from the standard 4-way tool post to a QCTP, but I am confused by the overlap between AXA and OXA and would like some guidance on which to pick.

Please, do not offer any other advice beyond OXA vs AXA. I have no desire to experiment or upgrade anything else. My budget is limited.

My observations
- Both tool posts and holders take the same size tools: 1/2" (12mm) max.
- The price difference is nominal between the two.
- they both overlap in the 6" to 9" lathe size (I know AXA can go up to 12" but not relevant to my issue).

Any guidance on this matter is welcome.

Thank you.
Andrei

I like the 40 position swiss style better....:popcorn:

BTW "In before the lock"

Can you elaborate? I am not familiar with your reference. Links always help. Remember, I have far less experience than many of you on this forum. This inquiry is probably a dead giveaway of my limited experience.

Outside your budget?? If you can afford a Grizzly, you can afford just about anything. At least, a good pair of tweezers.

Outside your budget?? If you can afford a Grizzly, you can afford just about anything. At least, a good pair of tweezers.

Agreed. I am just a hobbyist with limited funds, so you guys understand my predicament. I am sure more than one has been in my position at one time or another.

In any case, please help me figure it out.

I can't help with your choice of tool posts but I am curious about your screen name. Does it come from the 35mm film adapter once made for the Rolleiflex twin lens reflex?

David

Hi David,

Yes. You are 100% right. I love Rollei and Rolleiflex cameras and have several of them. The Rolleikin was (still is) an adapter that allows use of the tiny 35mm film in the medium format cameras made by Rollei. This allowed the use of the fantastic Planar lenses to shoot 35mm film at a great cost reduction from shooting 120 or 220 film.

Andrei

Bigger is better here, this will be determined by the height of the tool block, plus tool, sitting on the compound. If this height is below spindle centerline it will fit. If this is a large gap, consider the next size up. Find a drawing of both and compare.

Wow.The Aloris MA costs more than the lathe. Definitely outside my budget.

Yeah. Mine too. At one time there was a reasonably nice knock off from little-machine-shop.com.

With a riser block it fits a 7" lathe just fine. You might poke around and see if you can find one used.

PW_lathe3.JPG

Basically, you already answered your own question -

Two qualities that are very important.

JMHO

-Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back