What's new
What's new

Axelson lathe manual

Winchesterguy

Plastic
Hey all, just purchased an axelson lathe, 18x45. Believed to be a 1944 but haven’t found enough serial info to validate that yet. I do know it’s older than the ones I run at work though. I’m having a hard time finding a manual for it, everything is for the 16 or 20 inch machines. Or is mine considered a 20” since the max swing is 20 5/8?

Probably same as a 16". The 16" swings 20"

My 14" swings 19"

They're all pretty much the exact same. Just bits scaled up for larger swings and the real big ones have rapids and other neat stuff.

The only real differences across the ages of Axelson gearhead lathes was the early ones used a metal plate oil filter while the later uses a cartridge element. The early ones had hard iron ways while the later ones had toolsteel insert ways.

Go over to Vintage Machinery's website and down load a manual. The manual they have is one I have that I scanned several years ago and wound up over there. It covers all sizes of Axelson lathes including the 14", or like Garwood said, 14" is the 16". Ken

Thanks guys, will do. Headstock and gears and pretty much everything else appear to be the exact same as the ones at work just a little older.

Back