What's new
What's new

B&S 2G Beginner -- Rapid Pull Out?

klpauba

Plastic
Hi all.

I did a search but couldn't find anything about this topic.

In reading some B&S cam design documents, there's mention of "rapid pull out (rpo)" for deep drilling on B&S 2G machines.

I would like to know if there's a way to pull the turret out without indexing. This would allow me to peck a deep hole without adding more twist drills to the turret.

If it can be done, might you share how I can set up the machine to do so?

Thanks!

Thanks for the call out to camscan, Limy Sami!

I guess this is proof that my 2Gs won't support the RPO. At least I better understand how it works.

My solution will probably involve outfitting the turret with extra drill bits and indexing the turret. I gather this is faster than multiple cam lobes, right? Any real downsides (other than using turret capacity)?

I appreciate the effort you expended in answering my question, camscan!

Pics as promised,files too big from computer so taken off tablet. Can try again if you want.

Wasn't there a posting showing a re-working of the brownie, by getting rid of the
main feed cam, and putting a servo motor in it's place ?

For the record, what do you call deep drilling? .....please give dia' depth and material.

The reason I ask is, that from what little I know about cam autos and the guys that set them, is that when it comes to cutting parameters they sort of have their own rules, or ''bend'' what is considered normal practice, and very successfully at that! ............and with the range of drills available today, pecking can be greatly reduced if not eliminated altogether.

yes you can do it ,,, I have 5 or 6 sets of generic cams that I had made by Joe Wieter at national tool & cam co ..... the main can is set up for peck drilling and it just drops the drill out to the face of the part then rapids back in about .01 short of were it left off ...
the 2G indexes off the trip dogs and not off the cams ...

And here I thought I was the last guy running 2G machines ..

little OT

a good set of what I call Generic cams works great on the 2G machines ,,,, side cams are set for .600 rise and about .004 feed and the main cam is set for a feed stop, one center drill .400 rise and ,003 feed and then it has a peck drill with 1 1/2" rise and .004 feed I had then made for
1 thru 4 drill .... all are set up for 600 RPM .......

that works great of most steel parts ,,, for alum I just turn the spindle faster and for more parts per min ....

A 2G can be a vary simple to set up machine if you get your head wrapped around how they work ... there is 2 spindle speeds, forward and reverse , a front and rear slide and a turret that goes in and out at holds 6 tools ...

Sorry for getting back so late (I'm trying to catch up).

Your suggestion to go with a parabolic flute drill, Limy Sami, was a good one. Been drilling the holes in 12L14 very well.

Back