What's new
What's new

B&S 2G Feed problem.

klpauba

Plastic
I've had such good luck with the B&S knowledge here that I gotta ask another question.

A B&S 2G HS (suddenly?) has started having difficulty feeding stock. All the the mechanics seem to be working but when it comes time to close the collet, the drive belt pops off the pulley. I can use the hand wheel to get it through but it takes a lot more torque than it used to. I checked the barrel cam that drives the feeder and collet and everything seems to appear OK. Can't easily check/see the linkages that drive the collet fork. Things look like they're getting lubricated well enough.

I first found that I needed to adjust the collet ring to reduce the gripping force. I thought I had it because it seem to turn easier but after a few cycles the problem recurs. I had a machinist friend help me to reduce the length of the leather belt by 1/4" but that didn't help -- it seems a bit tighter now than another 2G that I have yet still slips off the pulley.

Might any of you have some ideas on what I should check next? I can't really expect 60 parts/hr when I have to manually crank to get the stock to feed.

Thanks

The collet is adjusted too tight. Back off the adjustment Ring.
Always adjust it by hand before running under power. It should run with it
pretty snug. Clean Belt and Pulleys of any oil/grease. Use a spray on Belt traction compound.
Turn Belt over.

All excellent suggestions. I'll try each out (probably in easiest to execute first order) and report back.

We degreased the belt, adjusted the collet (wasn't far off) and flipped the belt. We discovered that we were overfeeding (a lot!). It is no longer throwing the belt but my son thinks it's just barely making it. We had initially tried some belt dressing but we will probably get another can after these adjustments for insurance.

I'll start looking over the manuals to see how involved it is to reposition (or replace) the slotted collet bearing to see if that will be our next effort.

Everyone's suggestions are spot on and we appreciated your time y'all take to answer our questions.

The collet is adjusted too tight. Back off the adjustment Ring.
Always adjust it by hand before running under power. It should run with it
pretty snug. Clean Belt and Pulleys of any oil/grease. Use a spray on Belt traction compound.
Turn Belt over.

Thanks camscan. I was worried it would be more work -- you estimake a ten-minute job it'll take us an hour! :-)

My son and I went through the maintenance manual and discovered a lubrication tube was severed behind the machine around (but behind) the location of the feed finger. We manually lubed some gears back there and the feed is very smooth and powerful now. No more belt problems.

If you are feeding out too long try to feed it out 2 times with shorter lengths. When adjusting the collet tension I use a piece of round bar to open and close it. Adjust to the tightness I feel is needed.

We had a job running 1 1/8 aluminum and we were having trouble with the feed fingers not sliding back after feeding and was throwing the belt. Oiling the bars fixed the feeding.

Back