What's new
What's new

Bad habits in the machine shop

jumpinjimmy447

Aluminum
Hello every one , my first topic post here .
I have been in the maintenance shop for a large manufacturing company for 26 years , I took 3 smesters of machine shop at a local jr collage .
I have been fabricating repair parts for our machines in house for most of my time here running manual lathes and mills and surface grinder ect.
For all the time here I have been the olny guy that knows anything about machining , the rest of my crew are mechanic/electricians.
I keep reading posts where the guys are new and not bringing their bad habits with them .
Now I know I have some , example using a mill in a drill chuck ,I know thats wrong but some times if it isnt a critical cut and I need it fast , I will do it .
can you guys mention more examples ? Thanks .

I think that in many cases, habits are perceived as "good" or "bad" in the context of the specific shop and its manner of operation. I would say that use of an endmill in a drill chuck is a habit that would be seen in most shops like a bad thing, but it has qualifiers. I use single endmills in drill chuck for counterboring in many cases. I don't use them for anything else in a drill chuck, because a.) it just doesn't work, and b.) it's "bad".

In a maintenance shop, often time is BIG money, so the goals and methods of getting there are different from a job shop. General bad habits I can think of from a broad standpoint are things like:
-using the same bandsaw blade for 1/8" thick stainless and 3/4" thick aluminum plate
-leaving a mess on the machine when the job is done (but in my one-man shop, happens all the time)
-not labeling stuff in squeeze bottles, so it is impossible to tell whether you're picking up waylube or Relton Rapid-Tap

That's a few of the ones I can think of in a minute.

Hello every one , my first topic post here .
I have been in the maintenance shop for a large manufacturing company for 26 years , I took 3 smesters of machine shop at a local jr collage .
I have been fabricating repair parts for our machines in house for most of my time here running manual lathes and mills and surface grinder ect.
For all the time here I have been the olny guy that knows anything about machining , the rest of my crew are mechanic/electricians.
I keep reading posts where the guys are new and not bringing their bad habits with them .
Now I know I have some , example using a mill in a drill chuck ,I know thats wrong but some times if it isnt a critical cut and I need it fast , I will do it .
can you guys mention more examples ? Thanks .

Drugs, Alcohol, Practical Machinist

CarlBoyd

Carbide touching carbide is a major cause of damage to tools. They come in little plastic containers, why not store them that way?

Not putting tools away after a job is a huge problem here that is made much worse by owners who are the worst offenders. I've been spending more of my own money for tools just so I can lock them in my box.

Leaving the freaking chuck key on the chuck, also those guys that leave a royal mess on the machine under the excuse that their job is a rush job.

I got one more. What about those that lock the shop tools on their box? (Tool holders and measuring tools)

For people not working in saftey glasses required 100% of the time shops... Getting lack on wearing them everytime you do anything. Really any complacency in regards to safety.

well I am guilty of a few of them once or twice , not having any other guys around that do machine work and reading this forum had me wondering if I did totaly idiot things .
And Im the guy grouching at the guy that left a mess on my machine . thanks for the replys .

Not cleaning up after a job.

Not putting tools, etc. away properly so that they are ready to use and easy to find next time.

Rush jobs that require a violation of shop rules or general good practice.

It was beaten into my head as an apprentice to never leave the chuck key in the lathe and I never have. I was told that someone could walk up and engage the spindle resulting in a broken collar bone or worse. Ok, who in that f@ck walks up to an engine lathe and turns the spindle on without chucking up a work piece (just wanted to see the chuck spin???)? The other scenario would be that a person chucks up a work piece, leaves the key in the chuck and turns on the spindle. Well then the f@cktard deserves a broken collar bone. Sorry for the rant.

I also hate when people let machines, 1-2-3 blocks, fixtures etc. rust to sh!t instead of taking 30 seconds to wipe these down with way oil which is found EVERYWHERE in the shop.

• Chuck keys in lathe
  • no safety glasses
  • pulling chips away by hand with machine running
  • laying crap on top of headstock
  • laying crap on top of tailstock
  • laying crap on bed ways
  • laying crap pretty much anywher it doesn't belong
2014-05-21 21.51.20.jpg

Back