What's new
What's new

ball bearing oil hole cover

sc repair

Plastic
I pulled this sentence from a post where someone wanted to remove these. I am wondering how or what tool is used to get oil through them.

Basically anything that builds a little positive pressure and has a spout larger than the ball but smaller than the plate that holds the ball.

Goldenrod as jancollc says. Or Eagle 66 oilers work great too.

Even a plastic 3-in-1 type plastic bottle (or a mustard bottle) with the tip cut to just a little larger than the ball (but don't use 3-in-one oil).

I found that a piece of rubber tubing that fit of the pump oiler snugly pressed against the ball oiler rim was very effect at forcing the oil in. Little or no oil on the surface of the oiler.

Tom

I gave up and made a tip. Cone on the end, to fit the holes around half-way up the cone, and poking in about half the ball diameter, or maybe a bit less.

The cone seals the hole up so the oil goes IN.

Key feature is to slit the tip across so that even though the end is pushing the ball, the oil can get out the slit sideways. Just a bit, not back far enough to leak out the oilers you have.

Works great.

I'm no fan of Goldenrod.
I don't really like them either.

This is the best one I have.

No idea who made it or how old it is, but it works better than my other ones. Which is to say, sort of...

oiler.jpg

Hey thank you for the replies. Seems like an easy fix. The trick looks like either I need an applicator tip larger than the ball or a slit in the tip. Problem I was having is the tip I have is sealed by the ball and when I pull back the oil just comes out all over the top of the ball.
Anyone wana talk about a Sheldon/Vernon vertical mill. I recently bought one. Going back a few years on this site you could see it from the guy I purchased it from, it's RED. Had to re due allot of things but am about ready to start using it.

Back