What's new
What's new

Ball joint press fit tolerance?

Jim Moser

Hot Rolled
Just curious how tight a press fit I should use with these press in ball joints. 1.75 OD 303 SS into 3/4 inch 304 SS. Dont want to distort the housing but dont want them moving either. Should it be just interference or. 001 undersize. I just roughed it out to 1-5/8 inch
d0c747e95bad8549fea747c202c51724.jpg

This is for a tiller arm connecting arm hydraulic steering in a commercial fishing boat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stainless on stainless and press fits generally equal galling at that size .001 should work get dry ice chill inner heat outer it would be wise to make arbor that allows you to press on outer ring only if you press on inner it will expand outer the outer is cracked to get inner in

Stainless on stainless and press fits generally equal galling at that size .001 should work get dry ice chill inner heat outer it would be wise to make arbor that allows you to press on outer ring only if you press on inner it will expand outer the outer is cracked to get inner in

Does 303 gall? 303 is like silver colored brass.

Where did you get a fucked up idea like that? Do you see a crack in the outer race? I worked in a shop that made those and quite possibly that one and none had a crack. The race is swaged around the ball . There are some that have a crack but they are as hard as glass and that certainly won't be the case with 303 stainless.
You need to know the clearance of the ball to the race. If you have that much interference then you will lock it up because the race will close up at least that amount. It would be better to secure it with snap rings if you are worried about movement but since there does not appear to be enough meat in the crank arm Locktite might do it .

Steel one are often machined then fractured I have taken apart them cut slit wider to tighten them up Stainless may be swaged They were RBC?

Back