What's new
What's new

Band Saw - HEM compare to TED Machines - Mostly want feedback about TED Machines

herrmc

Plastic
I am needing a band saw..... typical guy..... I want way more than what I practically need. :-)

I am cutting "pickets" for wrought iron fencing/railing. Almost always out of Mild Hot Roll... but Aluminum is in the future. The most common dimensions are 0.5" square and 0.75" square (both solid).... My top rails that I cut (not nearly as many) range from 1.5" x 0.5" ~ 2.0" x 0.5 inch (some 0.375 thickness too)....

I also cut a fair amount of square and rectangle tubing... but not nearly so much as above.

I have a robotic welder, and tooling setup to fixture the railing .... so the length of the pickets needs to be accurate. My current needs are not so demanding that I need automatic cut features etc.... but I would like them anyway if I can afford it.... currently about 100+ cuts per day is expectation... but have capacity to increase quite a bit.

I live in Oklahoma... and live fairly close to the HEM facility .... I have friends with HEM saws... and they love them..... Good reputation, and (pricy $$$)..... (Good Equipment should be expected to cost $$$.... I just have limitations in reality).

In my research I have come across (and communicated with) TED Machines....

http://tedmachines.com/Products/HorizontalBandSaw/AutomaticBandSaw13x20TM320AL/tabid/86/Default.aspx

I have also communicated and considered a HEM H90A-4

..... the "TED" machine is much less $$$ .... close to half as much (a little more than half).

I understand that the continuous feed is a little less desirable than the shuttle feed on the HEM... and also realize that this is not an apples to apples comparison....... Although I am not certain what the differences are in comparison besided the feed method.

I can find bountiful reviews of the HEM saw.... and know several others that have them (and know I can trust the review).

.... but I cannot find any information regarding the TED saws (besides the actual "TED" website)...... online reviews etc...... The TED Machines are based out of Chicago, and the machines that they sell are manufactured in Germany and Turkey..... it is not clear to me whether the machine I linked above is from Germany or Turkey. I have a question in to Ted Dinev to clarify this.

So, all that being expressed, anyone got any feedback (actual experience) with the TED machines?

Here is a link to the german line of saws he sells-
JAESPA

that said, I would bet dollars to donuts the yellow machines are Kesmak's from Turkey.

Turkey is one of the largest manufacturers of fabrication machinery in the world- Durma, a turkish company, now makes more shears and press brakes every year than anyone else.
They are, quality wise, below the old tried and true German or Italian companies, but better than China or Taiwan, most of the time, and priced accordingly.

I own a set of 4' x 12 gage Turkish made powered rolls- have had em for maybe 15 years now. Bought em new. good quality castings, parts all seem to be sourced from decent manufacturers, CE (euro standard) electrics. I had one twelve dollar transformer in the controls burn out, about ten years in, other than that, no problems. They are clearly not as high quality as the Italian or American competition, but they cost, new 1/3 the price. And they are better than the Chinese machines I have seen.

I would guess these saws are similar. Decent mid range quality.

The problem is parts- you are pretty much on your own, there, with one distributor in the US, who knows what he will stock, or for how long. The turks tend to use standard off the shelf electricals, and those should be easy enough to source. Expect to have to fab yourself, or pay to have machined, however, trickier parts, ten years from now. If you are comfortable with this, then go for it.
You get what you pay for- and HEM, or Amada, or Do-All, are all much more expensive, but one of the things you are paying for is parts, service and continuity of sales, along with a brand name that increases resale value.

Only you can decide how much risk you are willing to take.

Good thread here as we have just purchased a HEM Saw. People are saying good things about them.

The HE&M was priced just below Marvel.

So now if another saw mfg comes in at just under half of a HE&M saw I would just have to consider how do they make it that much cheaper??

And as Ries mentioned-Parts, what is the availability?

Thanks to all for the responses... I have no doubt about the Quality of the HEM, and I have lived near them all my life... used to do work in their facility many years ago. If budget were not an issue, then it would be no question.... these TED Machines caught my eye (actually seen them on ebay)..... Was just surprised that I could not find any reference to them on the internet (besided their own). Ted is going to have one at Fabtech this year.... I wish I could go, but don't look like it is in the mix (not just to see the TED machine)...

Maybe if I keep on being good, Santa will bring me a HEM ....

If you end up getting a HEM saw, just make sure you keep up on the maint and cleaning. They are good saws, but susceptible to issues when the chips (easily) get under the covers.

JRIowa - Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query. But possibly you missed the point of my question.

- I have no need to be convinced of the quality of the HEM - I have lived a few miles from there facilty all my life (well, since they moved here in 1976)..... I have worked in their facility, and have several friends that own one.... I am completely convinced of the Quality of the HEM .... I just cannot afford/justify it right now... If I could, I would place the order today.

- I am not looking for apples... I am looking for a bandsaw... that I can afford... and that will do what I need... and that has a good reputation.... that is what my inquiry is about is "information" about "Ted Machines" or specific experience or knowledge of the machines they sell. Several have provided some very useful feedback regarding this.... I am not asking for comparison of the quality or presence of the companies... I already know where that stands..... But I also know that it is possible to get Good(exceptionally good) products, support, and parts from Germany.... and I read a helpful review above about Turkish Machines/parts/support.

- I am highly preferential toward US companies with a good reputation.... but I do have a shop full of German made machines, and Italian machine that I am very happy with... so I am not going to exclude them... (not interested in chinese cheap stuff). With my German Machines the support has been awesome...

- From the info presented above, I think that I am leaning heavily toward (at least for now) bypassing the "Ted Machines" (he made me a very good offer to purchase the machine he is taking to Fabtech). I think that one of the main reaons for now is the lack of an established presence / reputation among the community. But I am not going to say anything negative about their machines at this point (because I know very little about them). The location, the listed revenue (maybe correct maybe outdated???).... the lack of an established workforce.... the idea of re-branded machines instead of one that is dedicated to the Mfr.

- I have also got pricing on a nice (plain) WellSaw..... that I can afford... and I am sure that will meet my current needs.... but expansion??? .... Also... I want the cool stuff :-)

- My mind is working overtime to try and find a way to afford to get a HEM....

- Whichever way I go, I hope that this information might prove helpful to the next person that searches for information on them. Thanks again for the help everyone....

I want to add another couple bullets:

- I neglected to set the context of my operation .... I have a small Fabrication shop that is just Myself and My two sons. I have no intentions of my business becoming anything more than a small family business (too much hassle associated with employees, and too much work!!!).

- I am totally bummed that I do not get to go to Fabtech this year...... If one of you go, and you happen to see Ted & his Machine there... I would be very interested in your feedback after seeing the machine in person, and talking with Ted.

JRIowa - Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query. But possibly you missed the point of my question.

No, I don't think I missed the point, I tried to show you that your comparison is not valid If you want a HEM buy one. If you want a machine from Ted, buy one. Your comparison is like telling us you are thinking about buying a car and can't make up your mind between a Lexus and a Yugo. It sounds more like you want to be a machine from Ted and are looking for somebody here to tell you that it's OK. Go ahead, buy it.
JR

Thanks to all for the responses... I have no doubt about the Quality of the HEM, and I have lived near them all my life... used to do work in their facility many years ago. ..

If they (HEM) found out you bought someone else.....will you still do work for them ?

Digger,
I think so..... My discussions with HEM have been very productive and helpful.... I think that they understand my position.... and they have tried to give me advice of other options.... can't say enough good about these guys. But, also to clarify.... the work that I did in the past at the plant... was long ago in the past..... I have not done any work there in a long time. And again.... If I could afford/justify the purchase from them.... it would be a no brainer for me..... right now... $23k+ is just out of reach for me relative to the need I have..... I am trying to explore a couple of other avenues to be able to do the HEM.... just have to give them a little time to sprout......

..... the "TED" machine is much less $$$ .... close to half as much (a little more than half).

.... but I cannot find any information regarding the TED saws (besides the actual "TED" website)...... online reviews etc...... The TED Machines are based out of Chicago, and the machines that they sell are manufactured in Germany and Turkey..... it is not clear to me whether the machine I linked above is from Germany or Turkey.

JRIowa - - I am highly preferential toward US companies with a good reputation.... but I do have a shop full of German made machines, and Italian machine that I am very happy with... so I am not going to exclude them... (not interested in chinese cheap stuff). With my German Machines the support has been awesome...

Since the TED is half as much as the HEM, it can't possible be 'made in Germany'. Maybee a few parts and or some assembly but the saw for all intents and purposes must be made in Turkey considering the price point you state.

No idea on Ted but We have had 3 Hem's and am not impressed with them. Bought a Behringer and it will eat the Hem for breakfast. Without even looking at the Ted, I would buy it over the Hem, yes that is how disappointed I am with Hem saws.

It's really a good ticket if you'll be able to go to that Fabtech. Ted machines look great saw. It's crazy that these guys don't have any information on internet, no reviews ; none at all. And it seems like no one here can give that to you, ..at least for now. You made it a point that you're a fan of German made machines and your budget is limited , which leaves you in getting the TED saw. If you will try to consider other saws,not German made and not expensive, you probably find good or even better band saws that could suit your needs.

Since the TED is half as much as the HEM, it can't possible be 'made in Germany'. Maybee a few parts and or some assembly but the saw for all intents and purposes must be made in Turkey considering the price point you state.

- I think that some of the price difference may be in options... example the Pinch/roll feed system (TED) over the "shuttle" feed system on the HEM..... Ted acknowledged as well that this was not as good of a feed system (and said he had higher end machines that had shuttle feed).....

- And I agree with you.... About the "where made"... I don't know for sure about being German or Not.... but that is one of the factors that helped in my decision to forgo this one for now... is that no definitive information on where the machine is made... and if it is made "for them" and not "by them"... makes me question the long term viability of support / parts etc.

Back