What's new
What's new

Band saw magnetising cut parts?

Scruffy887

Titanium
Has this ever happened to you? Guessing it is caused by the blade somehow getting magnetized. I have been using the same saw for 14 years and the blade cuts fine, was replaced many months ago. Started a month ago. The swarf sticks to the cut parts with or without flood coolant. Any ideas?

Have you lost a ground somewhere?
Are you using a feeder?
Are you sure the stock isn't magnetized before you cut it?

Possible, but more likely the material is already slightly magnetized and you just don't notice it until you cut "across the lines" and create the swarf to stick to the new poles.

I would change material to austenitic stainless steels, maybe job profit would also go higher.

(sorry this was just a joke, I just hate my bandsaw and all the problems with it, and I'm drunk.)

Best Regards

This happened to me once, I never did find out why. It went away when I changed blades and hasn't come back. All I can guess is I must have cut some stock that was slightly magnetized and that magnetized the blade--that's just wild speculation though.

Take two pieces of steel and touch them lightly to see if they are magnetized, if not pull the blade out of the saw and test it. If the blade is magnetized, find an "open" transformer and plug it in the wall.

Open means, you can see the insulation paper. Then slowly drag the blade across the tranny, it should be able to demagnetize the blade.

Just for giggles, wear gloves.

Regards,

Stan-

Sounds darft but solar storms can magnetize stuff too IME. There was a baddish one a few months back, still not got around to demagging everything, but pretty much everything in my shop has some magnetism, from digital callipers to stock. Never had a issue like that before the storm, literally one day, all the swarft fell on the floor no issue, 24 hours later and whilst not strong a hell of a lot of stuff now noticeably attracts stuff, including a screw driver i had been trying to magnetize for years. Everything in the lathes metal cabinet does not show this problem, so i can only assume its a outside created problem.

A simple ac powered coil though will take care of it, had it happen a few years back.

Sounds darft but solar storms can magnetize stuff too IME. There was a baddish one a few months back, still not got around to demagging everything, but pretty much everything in my shop has some magnetism, from digital callipers to stock. Never had a issue like that before the storm, literally one day, all the swarft fell on the floor no issue, 24 hours later and whilst not strong a hell of a lot of stuff now noticeably attracts stuff, including a screw driver i had been trying to magnetize for years. Everything in the lathes metal cabinet does not show this problem, so i can only assume its a outside created problem.

A simple ac powered coil though will take care of it, had it happen a few years back.

:)

the x files theme song (full version) - YouTube

Back