What's new
What's new

bandsaw gearbox gears need to have helix angle?

metalmagpie

Titanium
Old Rockwell Delta 20-365 vertical bandsaw with 2-speed gearbox. Gears are bad, don't know how. These 4 gears have a small helix angle, maybe 8 degrees. My old Walker Turner gears also had a helix angle.

Wondering if these gears could be replaced with stock gears with straight teeth. What bad thing would happen if this were done?

metalmagpie

Old Rockwell Delta 20-365 vertical bandsaw with 2-speed gearbox. Gears are bad, don't know how. These 4 gears have a small helix angle, maybe 8 degrees. My old Walker Turner gears also had a helix angle.

Wondering if these gears could be replaced with stock gears with straight teeth. What bad thing would happen if this were done?

metalmagpie

Noise and more noise.

As far as swap in off-the-shelf straight cut, unlikely simply due to center distance

Quieter isn't the only reason for helical gears - some of the reason is to make what you want to FIT on a particular center distance

Helix angle is related to center distance - and center distance (or helix angle) is ADJUSTABLE in the design stage

A fact is hidden in the thumbnail:D

The Diametral Pitch (everybody says DP) is being revised from 4 normal to 3.84 in the plane of rotation (I think I got that right)

Attachments

• Helix Angle To Suit Center Distance.jpg
    Helix Angle To Suit Center Distance.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 165
Traveling without access to my library. I was thinking straight gears because they can be cut in a home shop. Is there any straightforward way to make helical spur gears in a home shop without a universal mill with rotating table?

Just remembered I have a friend who owns an old gear hobber. Can someone please point me to a reference where I can learn how to pick a hob to cut these particular gears?

Back