What's new
What's new

Basement Opening Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

CityguyUSA

Plastic
I'm in process of adding a porch to the rear of my home but because of the location of my basement egress I want to make a cover that would be hinged on the house side and functionally work like a hatchback. To keep it consistent with the porch floor it needs to support 50 pounds psf (technically 40 iive and 10 dead at a minimum).

The outer edge is 73.25" from the back of the house to the front lip x 63" from the left and right outer edges. There is no rear edge but I'll going to need to add a ledger board on the house side for the hinges which I can do from underneath or above. They can be regular type hinges or a piano style. Also from the inside wall I plan on using 2 gas struts, I guess they call them to help lift the sheet. The actual opening is 65.75" x 55.5".

I guess the question is can I do this just using a sheet of aluminum laying on the outer edges? How thick would it need to be?

If that's not an option what recomendations could you make?

Thanks in advance for your thougts and ideas.

I'm in process of adding a porch to the rear of my home but because of the location of my basement egress I want to make a cover that would be hinged on the house side and functionally work like a hatchback. To keep it consistent with the porch floor it needs to support 50 pounds psf (technically 40 iive and 10 dead at a minimum).

The outer edge is 73.25" from the back of the house to the front lip x 63" from the left and right outer edges. There is no rear edge but I'll going to need to add a ledger board on the house side for the hinges which I can do from underneath or above. They can be regular type hinges or a piano style. Also from the inside wall I plan on using 2 gas struts, I guess they call them to help lift the sheet. The actual opening is 65.75" x 55.5".

I guess the question is can I do this just using a sheet of aluminum laying on the outer edges? How thick would it need to be?

If that's not an option what recomendations could you make?

Thanks in advance for your thougts and ideas.

www..homerepairtalk.com is the place for you.....

Or try www..Thisoldhouse.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back