What's new
What's new

Basic Spur Gear Manipulation

User31899

Plastic
New here so pardon the informalities! I've been trying to create a custom gear and I can't figure it out for the life of me... its a single gear with no connecting gears (its for an "art piece" more or less) I want to know how many max teeth I can fit on a specific cylinder diameter and what the depth of cut would need to be given the number of max teeth. Not only max, but then how to manipulate the teeth number and diametrical pitch at a given diameter without causing the total diameter to change and to calculate the depth of cut needed -if that makes any sense. I've looked into the common handbooks on gears and formulas but can't find what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Diametral Pitch (DP)is a measure of the tooth size. It is the number of teeth on a gear of 1 inch pitch diameter.
The total "depth of cut" of a tooth is 2.157/DP for 14.5 degree pressure angle gears 2.25/DP for 20 degree. (this is the sum of the addendum and dedendum of the gear tooth)
D= N/DP where N is number of teeth, D is gear pitch diameter.

Gear Outside diameter is (N+2)/DP

That should be enough formula for you to figure out what you want.

New here so pardon the informalities! I've been trying to create a custom gear and I can't figure it out for the life of me... its a single gear with no connecting gears (its for an "art piece" more or less) I want to know how many max teeth I can fit on a specific cylinder diameter and what the depth of cut would need to be given the number of max teeth.
Figure out the base circle for the number of teeth you want. When it gets bigger than the root diameter then you get undercut. If you don't care about undercut, then go bigger. (But it looks stupid.)

Back