What's new
What's new

Bearing designations - how to find a bearing with a specific size

awake

Titanium
I've done some searching, including the SFK and NSK sites, but haven't found as much help as I would have hoped.

I'm trying to figure out how to identify possible bearings to use in a project, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what bearing number(s) to search for. Specifically, I need something with a minimum width/height for a given inner diameter.

Even more specifically, I need something with an inner diameter ranging between 12-16mm. Width doesn't really matter, but I need as thin as possible, so presumably that will likely also mean smaller width.

Any help will be most appreciated!

More specifics required; load, RPM, thrust, service life, lube or sealed? For example, what precludes using a sleeve bearing? Those would be the minimum OD for your ID. Is there sufficient width to use needle roller bearings? They have a smaller OD than ball.

Once you have your specifications detailed, just take them to a bearing supply house. They know how to read their catalogs.

jack vines

Just to clarify, have you used either of these pages?

ProductSearchResult

Deep groove ball bearings

When I have to find something to fit a given location, I just narrow down the ranges until it leaves me with a handful to pick from.

Not sure if you are looking for minimum OD(D) or minimum width(B), but a 61701 is 18mm OD, 12mm ID, 4mm Width.

You don’t spec shielding etc… Nevertheless extra light series metric radial will likely be what you want. SKF’s would be 6001, 6002 and 6003 having 12mm, 15mm and 17mm bores and 8mm, 9mm and 10mm widths respectively.

Good luck,
Matt

Just to clarify, have you used either of these pages?

ProductSearchResult

Deep groove ball bearings

When I have to find something to fit a given location, I just narrow down the ranges until it leaves me with a handful to pick from.

Not sure if you are looking for minimum OD(D) or minimum width(B), but a 61701 is 18mm OD, 12mm ID, 4mm Width.

Many thanks! I had *tried* to pull up the search function on SFK's site, but for some reason it didn't seem to work - but your link took me right to it. Just what I need ... and the 61701 is very much in the ball park of what I am looking for.

You don’t spec shielding etc… Nevertheless extra light series metric radial will likely be what you want. SKF’s would be 6001, 6002 and 6003 having 12mm, 15mm and 17mm bores and 8mm, 9mm and 10mm widths respectively.

Good luck,
Matt

Matt and Jack, this is a very light duty bearing, so seal, precision, load, are all fairly inconsequential. The major challenge, at least to start, is finding something that can fit within a limited profile. Width is the concern, not OD - so needle roller is definitely out. Sleeve is possibility if I can't find a suitable ball bearing.

There are even manufacturers who will make a custom sized bearing,to suit your exact requirements.....one offs arent cheap ,tho....A good example is the double and triple row ball bearings used in some very early car axles.

My best source for finding a bearing is the I.B.I guide. International Bearing Interchange guide. This manual lists every bearing by size, bearing number and by group. My copy is the sixth edition, 1979. Must be over 1000 pages.

Online catalogs for bearings are pretty tough. It's best to download a full pdf and search it, or get a real paper catalog.

I think with your ID, you will be hard pressed to find a thickness under 5-7mm in a ball bearing. If that doesnt work, use a thrust bearing, either plain or needle. If you need radial support, try to sneak in another ball bearing where you have more room.

I like to work with a local sales rep for this stuff who has all the right contacts, and I still get what I want for around the same price as McMaster.

on edit, there are plenty of 4mm options:
Thin Section Bearings Online

Thinnest ball bearing I ever saw were in the gunsight for the 155 mm.....you can always surface grind ball bearings until you just touch the cages,generally makes them at least 2mm narrower.

Online bearing shops like uk bearingboys have search functions according to desired sizes.
Or nsk, skf.

As thin as possible is not a spec.

E.
A thrust bearing might be thin, and a secondary bearing might do radial loads.
Depends.
At low loads the igus stuff would be really cheap and last forever.
Depends.
See igus online.

A pumped bearing with oil will last forever, hydrodynamic.
Can you afford a 100$ oil pump for it ?
Depends.

Online catalogs for bearings are pretty tough. It's best to download a full pdf and search it, or get a real paper catalog.

I think with your ID, you will be hard pressed to find a thickness under 5-7mm in a ball bearing. If that doesnt work, use a thrust bearing, either plain or needle. If you need radial support, try to sneak in another ball bearing where you have more room.

I like to work with a local sales rep for this stuff who has all the right contacts, and I still get what I want for around the same price as McMaster.

on edit, there are plenty of 4mm options:
Thin Section Bearings Online

Another very helpful link, thanks!

To further clarify, I am helping to improve the design of a prototype for a low-cost product - no, no room in budget or product for a $100 oil pump! Low rpm, low load, not much space to work with in terms of thickness, but plenty in terms of od. 4mm is fantastic, but anything up to 8 mm could work. It looks like the 67XX series are the ones I wanted, but just didn't know how to find. Thanks again to all for helping me go in the right direction.

Back