What's new
What's new

Bearing exetrnal threaded lock ring...name of part

Bill D

Diamond
I need to buy or make a simple lock ring that threads into a bearing bore. This pushes the bearing down into the bore and keeps it in place. It is notched on the outside end so a hook spanner can be used.
I do not know the correct name so all I can find is ones that are internal threaded and bear on the rotating shaft. The kind I need is external threaded so it engages the bore and holds the outer race in place. Obviously the diameter and threads depend on the outer race diameter.
Bill D.

Bosch makes some, but they use a pin spanner. I've never seen one designed for use with a hook spanner, because then it couldn't be flush.

Threaded Rings GWR | Bosch Rexroth AG

Something like that. This is used on a Delta tablesaw to hold the main arbor bearing in. It does stick out a little beyond flush when fully seated. Designed around 1930 so I know threads will be inch but may be a weird diameter. The original was brass and previously owner destroyed the notches trying to remove it.
Bill D.

part 359 on this diagram: looks like a pipe nipple notched on one end.

Replacing the Arbor Bearings on the Delta Rockwell 12-14” Tablesaw (34-395) - VintageMachinery.org Knowledge Base (Wiki)

...Bosch makes some, but they use a pin spanner. I've never seen one designed for use with a hook
spanner, because then it couldn't be flush...

Yeah, using a pin spanner allows the nut to be flush or even inside the housing. Nuts like that are used to retain and pre-load
the differential side bearings on Ford 9" rear ends. I have a vague recollection of seeing nuts with slots which would enable them
to be tightened with a ring spanner but I can't dredge up anything useful.

Incidentally--and totally off topic--the part number on the boxes in the picture indicates that that part was from 1966. I know this
because I drove a '66 1/2 ton for years and all the part numbers for it started with a "C6". That was back in the day when you
could actually afford to buy parts from a Ford dealer...:D

Attachments

• Adjuster Nut.jpg
    Adjuster Nut.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 162
If I make it from PVC pipe would that work? I could glue in some smaller diameter to make a thick wall pipe and make it pin drive. Or I will buy some thick dom pipe.
Bill D

Bill D, PVC doesn't seem like an appropriate material for this purpose. Among other things, I would expect it to creep, quickly releasing the locking force.

The op needs the inside out version of these. Rare ducks and normally custom.
Threads on the OD.
Bob

Lucky for me Delta used the same bearing and locknut on a disk sander that I am slowly restoring so I can borrow that retainer and have plenty of time to make a new one. It is 2" od so just a hair bigger then standard water pipe.

Back