What's new
What's new

bearing removal suggestions

indychuck

Aluminum
Looking for suggestions on prying or pulling the bearings from a Harrington chain fall.

I have no access to the other side of the bearing and was curious the best method on removal.

Thank you,

chainfall.jpg

If you don't need to save the existing bearings, this is rather easier. Slide hammer with bearing puller jaws or a pilot bearing puller. Heating the housing will help.

If you do need to save the existing bearings, you can't yank on the inner races, and there's almost certainly no way to get a shop-made jaw through the ID and under the outer races. I'd drill small holes in the house aligned with spots on the outer races, and use pin punches. Or, drill small holes, tap them (be clever about grinding points off taps to work with the limited space (if any) between race and housing), and jack the bearings out using machine screws in the tapped holes.

Knock the bearing cages out. Put all the balls to one side and pop out the inner race. Then run a bead of weld around the outer race (where the balls run)
When it cools it will shrink and drop out.

Is the housing aluminum? If so heat with heat gun or in oven, turn over and the bearings will fall out.

The heating method worked.

Also, thanks for the other suggestions, the tool that was suggested will work next time when I remove my new ones, these can and were damaged by the heat (which was OK).

None of the tools suggested will remove the bearings without damaging them.

disagree. static axial load that a standard radial ball bearing can handle is half of the radial load.

the problem is that its easy to put thousands of pounds of force on the bearing with a slide hammer. instead use static loading and then heat the casing, or try inverting one of those "canned air" cans and spray the bearing with -25F freon.

Back