What's new
What's new

Beg, borrow or rent? 3MT reamer....

MonCeret Gunsmit

Aluminum
This new to me Clausing lathe has burrs in the tailstock taper. I'd like to clean it up. I assume short of precision grinding....a 3MT tapered reamer would be the most accurate way to clean it up. Anybody know where I could rent or borrow a reamer....a long shot I know....

Thanks,
MG

I did the same in a Colchester ,priced a Sutton reamer $700...bit dear........so looked online ,and got a Chinese #3 morse reamer for $45 delivered ....and when it came ,there were two in the package.........reamed the socket,and all was good.........

Before considering using a reamer check the hardness. If it is hard you may need to have it ground. I have cheap Chinese MT3 reamers. I would consider lending them. When you consider the cost of postage both ways and the inconvenience of packing and shipping (for both of us) it might be better to just buy a cheap Chinese reamer.

Check to see the error is not just bangs and bugs in the lead edge...that can be honed, die grinder, scraped away.

Some times a correct taper taper shank drill can be set in with rouge and with careful twisting can hone out the bugs. Yes likely need chop the tang. A blue-up can monitor the work.

Likely find a used TS drill for 10 bucks,

Lot of 3 Used #2 Morse Taper Twist Drills Bits Cleveland plus others | eBay

Thanks Everyone. I had not found a reamer that cheap. Thanks for the info & links. The 3MT tapered bore is badly scored up..I'm pretty sure its beyond honing.. I'm just looking to basically cut all the raised burrs back down tot he original surface.

thanks, MG
East TN.

I have used the cheap offshore MT2 reamers successfully. Then followed with a light lap using a known good MT taper (worn out drill, etc.) to final polish.

Worked great.

Back