What's new
What's new

Belt Grinders

CatMan

Hot Rolled
I'm looking to purchase a belt grinder. I've currently got my eyes on a 4 x 48" model from Kalamazoo. I'm also looking at Burr King machines.

Are there any other manufacturers that make serious, metal removing belt grinders? This would be more for deburring than for metal shaping.

I know that there are a wide variety of 2x72" machines out there because of knifemaking hobbyists. Some are quite solidly built with VFDs, too (and half of the price of an equivalent burr king). Lots of belt availability and platen/contact wheel options as well.

I have a 1.5 hp 2x72 and it eats metal pretty quickly on full bore.

A few years ago I ordered a Kazoo belt sander, imagining one like I used in my university student shop circa 1965—heavy cast iron, machined platen, etc. What showed up was a floppy tin piece of absolute junk. Kind of like a drill press you'd buy at you-know-where...

I have a Kalamazoo 2 X 72 that I probably use every day if not every other day. I have plenty of bench grinders with various stones but you cant beat the flat platen on a belt sander. The other advantage is being able to change grit in a matter of seconds. I can go from 80 grit to 10 micron diamond and mostly anywhere in between very quickly.

I preface this as slight conflict of interest. I make pieces for them once and awhile.
Machines start at around 3 hp and I helped make one custom with a 15 hp motor driving a one inch wide belt.
They are common in Western Canada and I have worked in shops with these units and in 30 years I have never seen a failure other than the idler wheel losing its camber.
Belt Sanders, Grinders, Buffers & Polishers BC | Gallant Manufacturing

I have a 2 by 72 Burr King knife grinder that I bought new some forty years ago. It has been the most used tool in my shop. It got it new with the single speed motor, and soon upgraded it with the variable speed motor. Belts are availed in a great variety, and are reasonable in cost.

I'm looking to purchase a belt grinder. I've currently got my eyes on a 4 x 48" model from Kalamazoo. I'm also looking at Burr King machines.

Are there any other manufacturers that make serious, metal removing belt grinders? This would be more for deburring than for metal shaping.

For deburring, probably anything will work. Making an automotive analogy, my opinion is:

Current Kalamazoo = Nisan Versa
- it will certainly get you there, but not very fast. Probably not the most reliable or well built. But the price is pretty good.

Burr King = Lexus
- Nicely built, very reliable, not cheap but good resale value, very smooth running

They are so simple to build... I am shocked at the prices, mine is 35 years old, when I first made it there was no ready made belts... I glued up emery cloth to the size I wanted...Phil

I made my own, from common internet plans.

kmg42.jpg

It's relatively easy and straightforward. Although if time is shorter than money, buy one of the Beaumonts mentioned above. They have inexpensive basic models or even semicomplete chassis you can build off of.

Doc.

I am after a 4-inch version, which what we bought from Kazoo. 50 years ago they were serious pieces of machinery, such that in a pinch you could band-saw a part and finish it on one—provided, of course, it was all straight or outside radiused contours. The belt was backed up by a fairly thick plate so you could really lay into it. The current Kazoo has just a short piece of bent 1/8 plate and it's not even flat. Makes you ashamed to see "Made in USA" on something like that.

I went looking on the Internet and found this. Advertises machined cast iron parts and its manual is right there on their site. Available for 460V 3Ø which says it's serious. Anybody have one of these or use one (I'm just looking at the belt-only model, already have big disc sanders)?

Error | DNS Resolution | Northern Tool + Equipment

P.S. I remember Jet as originally pretty cheap stuff, but 50 years later it has apparently taken over the former Clausing, Delta etc. niche and looks—at least outwardly—like decent equipment. If it's classed by the mods as unmentionable due to its origin, that should probably be revisited. I'd be perfectly OK never mentioning Kalamazoo again...

My complaint about my Burr King 760 is that the backup platen is not rugged, it isn't solid when you press against it and the little table isn't solid either. The bigger Burr Kings are better I believe.

These cheap little Multitool grinders that you mount on a a bench grinder are all you need for deburring. They give you the 3 things I want for deburring - a contact wheel, a narrow platen, and a loose belt for strapping.

p20672_3_1.jpg

i have been usig a 2hp VFD KMG grinder have like 6 tool arm combos for easy swapping from different wheel sizes. for the flat platen JB weld pryoglass on it soo much better then a steel platen. like said lots of 2x72 options out there im back and forth about building a 2nd KMG or going to next common larger belt size and make a big wheel grinder(like 36-40" wheel size)

This must be one of those things that the first good tool you used is the one that is the best. I first used a 6x48 Rockwell belt grinder and was hooked on it. Bought one for my myself and often use it to square up saw cuts for weldments as well as blending chamfers. Customer of mine loves 1x42 belt grinders to deburr parts at each machine...I hate them because they don't track well.

Back