What's new
What's new

Belt Help, Clausing 22V-1 20" drill press.

Thomcat316

Plastic
I hope I have the right section - if not, please correct me!

IMG_20190602_173544.jpgIMG_20190602_173607.jpg

I recently acquired a very dirty but otherwise seemingly functional 20" Clausing drill press. I'm getting ready to clean it up, which will be more of a job than any machine I've ever owned.

1. I need to replace the belts. Here's the info I have/need - the Reeves belt is a 1930V425, the triple drive belts are 4L260, and the five-rib poly-v belt for the down feed is....? Anyone know this one from experience? According to the manual for the 2215 power downfeed, it's Clausing P/N 051-030, which I can't find a cross reference for.

2. Cleanup. I have traditionally used whatever light oil I have around to clean up machinery - as light as mineral spirits, as heavy as motor oil. This has worked well in the past. This thing is DIRTY! Like maybe 20+ lbs. of dirt dirty. My thought is to build a kiddie pool, set the drill press in it, and circulate a few gallons of odorless kerosene through like a giant parts washer until it's not caked with 40-50 years of dirt. Part of the plan is for the kerosene to be filtered through a couple coffee filters so I'm not just replating dirt in new and exciting places. Would love feedback if there's anything about this that's a bad idea.

Thanks!

Over the years I have discovered if you used a good grade of industrial soap like Purple Power, Simply Green and Im not sure they make it anymore is Basic H industrial soup mixed with the hottest water works the best and less hazardous to your health. Be sure to buy some industrial gloves and a face shield and under that some safety glasses. Then with some rags soak on the mixture. I think we used 4 to 1 or what ever the bottle said. I would not use kerosene or any other chemical that will burn. Be sure you wipe everything clean and spray with light oil or if not you may cause it to rust. As far as the belt goes. Go to an industrial supply store to but the belt. I used to use a narrow tape measure and measure around the sheeves. I just found this for you .YouTube

I hope I have the right section - if not, please correct me!

View attachment 257951View attachment 257952

I recently acquired a very dirty but otherwise seemingly functional 20" Clausing drill press. I'm getting ready to clean it up, which will be more of a job than any machine I've ever owned.

1. I need to replace the belts. Here's the info I have/need - the Reeves belt is a 1930V425, the triple drive belts are 4L260, and the five-rib poly-v belt for the down feed is....? Anyone know this one from experience? According to the manual for the 2215 power downfeed, it's Clausing P/N 051-030, which I can't find a cross reference for.
The Reeves belt (or clone) may have a Federal/NATO stock number and BE stocked under FSN/NSN. My otherwise-rare one for the USMT Quartet mill happened to also be used on a far more common "GSA" warehouse ride-on floor scrubber. NOS saved me about $200.

The Poly-Vee/Micro-Vee one can usually find at an auto-parts store, same-day, with a bit of measurement foo and/or trial and error. Too-many ribs? One can slit them. Too few? Four is common, and four will probably work fine rated @ somewhere around 0.4x HP per-rib as they are.

2. Cleanup. I have traditionally used whatever light oil I have around to clean up machinery - as light as mineral spirits, as heavy as motor oil. This has worked well in the past. This thing is DIRTY! Like maybe 20+ lbs. of dirt dirty. My thought is to build a kiddie pool, set the drill press in it, and circulate a few gallons of odorless kerosene through like a giant parts washer until it's not caked with 40-50 years of dirt. Part of the plan is for the kerosene to be filtered through a couple coffee filters so I'm not just replating dirt in new and exciting places. Would love feedback if there's anything about this that's a bad idea.

Thanks!

"Goop" recommended.

Or any other cheap grade of "waterless" hand-cleaner, so long as the non-abrasive type. Cheap chip brush or shoe polish dauber to brush it onto and INTO the crud, left to dissolve it, dug out with plastic "putty" knife and brushed off. Repeat.

Messy? yah, but.. NO water, no strong caustics, not going to ruin bearings, damage electricals, catch fire, nor eat-up the deck under it!

Finish with toweling, optionally a spritz of 409 or the like.

Easy on your skin, nose, lungs, and shop, won't burn, nor even damage old paint -so long as "salvageable", old labels, or sealants.

Back