What's new
What's new

Bench grinder reccomendations

Just a Sparky

Hot Rolled
I'm looking for a bench grinder with a full table on it instead of those pathetic little 1-2 square inch rests 99% of them come with. They're too small. They force a guy to chose between holding HSS bits close to the wheel where they get hot and holding them too far back where it's difficult to maintain positive control over them. Something with slots for a miter gauge would be big plus. A carbide tool grinder would almost be perfect but those pivot on the wrong axis for grinding on the front of the wheel. I want to be able to grind radiused tool faces so honing cutting edges is simple and fast.

Do you know of any bench-top grinders out there with big, luxurious tool rests or would I be better off building something to suit?

A skookum old cast iron belt-driven number mounted to a piece of 1/2" plate would provide a cheap, simple and positively rock-solid foundation upon which to build any arrangement I want... but if possible I'd prefer to spend time working *in* my shop for a change rather than perpetually working *on* it.

I have a 10" Baldor grinder with two pathetic rests. Last summer I made a larger tool rest with a linear bearing underneath.
The linear bearing is enclosed in white HDPE to keep it clean. I was going to make a protractor for angle setups. But decided
to just use a angle gauge and clamp a 3/4" square bar as a guide. All S.S. and works good.

DSC_1044.jpg

DSC_1051.jpg

DSC_1047.jpg

DSC_1052.jpg

Veritas and others make pretty cheap add-on rests. I use one on a 7" grinder fitted with CBN wheels for HSS sharpening.

Something like the actual Accu-Finish grinder that goes with the above rest is great for sharpening inserts. I have an older Glendo version of the oscillating grinder for which I've made up or bought numerous wheels and laps. Probably overkill for what you want and the OEM diamond wheels better suited to touching up carbide than HSS - but they sometimes show up cheap. Easy enough to make up your own wheels adhering something like zirconium or silicon carbide abrasive to a backing plate. For lapping, a cast iron plate infused with lapping compound. Even the diamond ones (meant for carbide) seem to last pretty well on HSS since the oscillating action and light cuts keep them from getting too hot and destroying the diamond surface.

Found a local listing for a nice old Wissota 701 for dirt cheap. Solid cast construction. One tool rest included, the other missing. I.E. one side ready to rock with a generous tool rest for freehand stuff, the other a perfect candidate for building a nice little table with protractor/jig slots.

Looked at DeWalt's 8" grinders too with nice big tool rests... but people seem to complain about lack of rigidity in them because they're supported by sheet metal. Naturally. Seems like every tool made within the last 4 or 5 decades is a toy compared against 50's-60's stuff and prior. Well, maybe not every tool, but you know what I mean.

I'm looking for a bench grinder with a full table on it instead of those pathetic little 1-2 square inch rests 99% of them come with. They're too small. They force a guy to chose between holding HSS bits close to the wheel where they get hot and holding them too far back where it's difficult to maintain positive control over them. Something with slots for a miter gauge would be big plus. A carbide tool grinder would almost be perfect but those pivot on the wrong axis for grinding on the front of the wheel. I want to be able to grind radiused tool faces so honing cutting edges is simple and fast.

Do you know of any bench-top grinders out there with big, luxurious tool rests or would I be better off building something to suit?

A skookum old cast iron belt-driven number mounted to a piece of 1/2" plate would provide a cheap, simple and positively rock-solid foundation upon which to build any arrangement I want... but if possible I'd prefer to spend time working *in* my shop for a change rather than perpetually working *on* it.

It sounds like what you want is a tool grinder with a CBN face wheel, only less grandiose than this:

BALDOR-RELIANCE 6" Wheel Diameter, 1/2 HP, 115V, 1 PH Carbide Tool Grinder | 87-100-500 | Travers Tool Co., Inc.

Back