What's new
What's new

bench lathe and milling machine at seventh floor

balcmachinist

Plastic
Hello everyone,
I just bought a new office in seventh floor, and i wonder if i can run a small lathe (max 60-70 kg) and a milling machine of same dimension?
wabeco products come in mind....

thanks

Why not?
Those sound like hobby machines? This thread will probably get locked as this is a professional forum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The University I work at had a Colchester Chipmaster and a mid sized Pedersen mill in a shop on the sixth floor of a physiology research building for forty years. The mill had some use, the lathe virtually none, that is until it followed me home... :-)

Methinks what matters in your case is the capacity of the elevator, floors, and tolerance of neighbors to noise, vibration, and fumes.

Lucky7

there are full size swiss machines on a fifth floor cranking out spines down the street from here.
The machines you listed are not heavier than normal office load for the floor. books are heavy, aquariums are heavy.

Thank you very much.
Well, idea would be to make studies/prototypes of smalls dimensions in engineer's nylon...so it will not be very disturbing
additionally, tehy are very silent machines.
thank you very much any way gentlemen.

Why not?
Those sound like hobby machines? This thread will probably get locked as this is a professional forum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

i have seen wabeco machines in some very serious, and clasified R&D places. and users were very happy with them....

i intend to use them professionally, so... :)

Last edited:
Perhaps you meant 'use them professionally'? Sue them has a slightly different meaning to Americans... ;-)

L7

there was a knife maker in Berlin who used a Haas Office Mill (now replaced by the CM-1) in his upper story workshop. Not sure if he craned it in thru a window, but with removing a few parts, they will fit thru a 1 meter doorway.

there was a knife maker in Berlin who used a Haas Office Mill (now replaced by the CM-1) in his upper story workshop. Not sure if he craned it in thru a window, but with removing a few parts, they will fit thru a 1 meter doorway.
thank you Sir,
i was confused for the weight...or better, my niece, an architect at first year ofwork sort of confused me .... building here can carry 250-300 kg for meter square... i am 105 kg, machine with its stand would be around 100-130 kg but i can use a lighter weight table ...

thank you very much any way...i will give it a try

Wabeco are still toys albeit expensive and precise ones.

You can get a nice used hlvh for the price of their largest lathe.

What are you going to be making?

i am a retired military man working on defense industry.
i design optic attachments mostly for eastern block and cold war time weapons....mostly i would be making prototypes in engineer's nylon ...then i have a good friend who has a small shop with 2 cnc gildemeister machines and he can do the "real"protoypes for me.

i was thinking to buy a Tos Mn80, i cosnder it at same level with Schaublin.
last week there was one in czech republic ebay, for 3.500 euro, made in 1964 never ever used...i lost for few hours. :( i could buy a schaublin 12 mill.too but problem is i have only monofase 220 v in this building...

well wabecos in europe are less expensive, additionally, they do not have an importer in albania so i would buy directly from factory as company.
i contacted cyclematic, and i am still thinking about the clone of hardinge...they qouted 20.000 usd to me.
i was thinking to travel and visit the factory, as i am lot of times 2-3 hrs flight far from taiwan

Back