Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bend allowance on press brakes

We just got a new press brake and it wants to add a bend allowance to every bend, so after loading a file I have to edit the program manually to get the backgauge numbers I need.

All of the sheet metal stuff is handled in our cad program, and all of our dxfs have bend lines where I want the bends to be. Is it wrong to think the brake should put the bend lines where I specified, and not try to correct for flange widths?

Especially since we rarely do simple 90 degree flanges, and the part that fits between the die and the backgauge is rarely the dimension we care about.

What gets me is on the flat drawing view it actually shrinks the blank to accommodate the bend allowance. It doesn't export the blank to anything, just shows you that it's going to bend it as if it was smaller.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strostkovy View Post
    We just got a new press brake and it wants to add a bend allowance to every bend, so after loading a file I have to edit the program manually to get the backgauge numbers I need.

All of the sheet metal stuff is handled in our cad program, and all of our dxfs have bend lines where I want the bends to be. Is it wrong to think the brake should put the bend lines where I specified, and not try to correct for flange widths?

Especially since we rarely do simple 90 degree flanges, and the part that fits between the die and the backgauge is rarely the dimension we care about.

What gets me is on the flat drawing view it actually shrinks the blank to accommodate the bend allowance. It doesn't export the blank to anything, just shows you that it's going to bend it as if it was smaller.
    Might be helpful to know what computer system you are working with.....
    It sounds like you want to dis-able the system, and give the backgage raw numbers.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Might be helpful to know what computer system you are working with.....
    It sounds like you want to dis-able the system, and give the backgage raw numbers.
    Delem Profile-T software on an Accurl press brake.

Do people usually want correction factors applied to files automatically like this?

4. Likes digger doug liked this post