What's new
What's new

bend radius vs strength

cg285

Stainless
forming 1/4" a36 into a channel. force will be on the web with the flanges supporting. question: will there be a noticeable/measurable strength difference in relation to the bend radius? googled but didn't come up with anything
ie: is a 1/4" radius stronger, weaker or immaterial vs a 1/2" radius

Smaller radius may be stronger/stiffer if the smaller radius allows the force to be applied closer to the web. If I understand your question. Sketch would help.

forming 1/4" a36 into a channel. force will be on the web with the flanges supporting. question: will there be a noticeable/measurable strength difference in relation to the bend radius? googled but didn't come up with anything
ie: is a 1/4" radius stronger, weaker or immaterial vs a 1/2" radius

if too cold worked or too small a radius ductility goes down where possibility of cracking increases. sometimes cracking is not visible but under load part can suddenly fail. i wouldnt try for max strength and have no ductility where part could suddenly snap or break with little warning under load.
.....some cold rolled steel you cannot even bend without it cracking. hot rolled steel becomes cold worked the more you bend it cold

it can be really inconvenient when a part under load suddenly fails or snaps into pieces.
for example a grade 8 steel bolt slightly bent so if you straighten with a hammer or press the same bolt looks ok and can snap under load with no warning. seen it many times. parts with low ductility basically are brittle and easily snap or break with little warning

if too cold worked or too small a radius ductility goes down where possibility of cracking increases. sometimes cracking is not visible but under load part can suddenly fail. i wouldnt try for max strength and have no ductility where part could suddenly snap or break with little warning under load.
.....some cold rolled steel you cannot even bend without it cracking. hot rolled steel becomes cold worked the more you bend it cold

what i was thinking

Back