Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BradAmos View Post
    I was given a Colchester Master 2500 lathe along with a beautiful Pratt-Burnerd LC15 lever collet holder made in EnglandAttachment 319816 (see photo)to fit the lathe spindle with 12 Multisize Collets (most of them still in their original unopened packaging). I now have a job which needs collets and have been trying to work out how to use the kit. I have a specsheet which says that 'a simple lever action operates the collet instantly while the machine spindle is in motion'. I thought this meant that the collet would stop rotating when the lever was pushed to one side but with my kit the collet rotates with the spindle of the lathe whatever the position of the lever.
    Can anyone advise me what I am doing wrong? I have emailed Pratt-Burnerd in Kalamazoo Missouri but have no reply yet.
    Kalamazoo is in Michigan, where Pratt Burnerd America is headquartered. Pratt Burnerd International is in England, where the chucks and collets are made. You are in the UK, so contacting PBI would make sense. PBI and Colchester are both owned by the 600 Group.

You need to anchor a pivot point to your lathe bed or headstock in order to use the LC15 chuck. Your picture does not show an anchor link. These anchor links have to be custom made for each type of lathe, so PBI does not provide them with the chuck. Maybe the prior owner of your lathe made one, or, if the chuck was never used, you may have to make one yourself. If the chuck was purchased with the lathe, Colchester may have provided the needed parts. At least, they may have drawings showing how to make and install the needed parts.

Collets rotate with the lathe spindle. Lever collet closers allow the collet to be opened and closed while the spindle and collet rotate. Some, but not all, parts can be inserted and removed from the collet while it is rotating. It depends on the part size and shape. It is a great time saver to change parts without stopping the spindle.

I have KC15 and KC25 PBI collet chucks for my Clausing lathe. The key-type chucks do not require an anchor link, but you have to stop the spindle to open and close the collet.

Larry

Country
    NAMIBIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BradAmos View Post
    I was given a Colchester Master 2500 lathe along with a beautiful Pratt-Burnerd LC15 lever collet holder made in EnglandAttachment 319816 (see photo)to fit the lathe spindle with 12 Multisize Collets (most of them still in their original unopened packaging). I now have a job which needs collets and have been trying to work out how to use the kit. I have a specsheet which says that 'a simple lever action operates the collet instantly while the machine spindle is in motion'. I thought this meant that the collet would stop rotating when the lever was pushed to one side but with my kit the collet rotates with the spindle of the lathe whatever the position of the lever.
    Can anyone advise me what I am doing wrong? I have emailed Pratt-Burnerd in Kalamazoo Missouri but have no reply yet.
    You are missing the anchoring bit for the collet opining handle. No idea for that machine, you'll need to phone / email around to get a pic. It's a useful system and the collets have decent range but are not very accurate and the increased distance from spindle nose aggravates things quite a bit. I have D1-3 and 1-4 for my lathes and are basically new. I almost never use them as not accurate enough if I need to turn work around. Collets used to be very expensive and I know people with too much time on their hands made them. Not that big a deal. I think they are an WWII thing. Also, there is a Japanese manufacturer and the ONE of their collets I have is super nice.

(Keep the spinning bit well lubed - it's not quite bearing steel.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Adhesive'ish grease for the balls plus a Mylar or shim-foil slip-wrap yah can withdraw as you go.

AFAIK D1-3 was hardly ever more than a rumour, would be a veritable Unicorn to find. My one is on D1-4.
    But not impossible, I have 2. One with a key and the other with a lever although missing the bracket that clamps on the bed.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the same unit, as mentioned you need to make a bracket, mine mounts to the headstock where a couple holes were located for the splash guard.

Bernerd Chuck

5. Likes L Vanice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Brat View Post
    But not impossible, I have 2. One with a key and the other with a lever although missing the bracket that clamps on the bed.
    I also have a D1-3 lever operated unit. They're not all that rare. Mine came with the Chipmaster lathe and I use it a lot.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^^ Ditto.

Like, and often use mine.

L7

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ive got a full set of the Multi Size collets ,up to something like 2",IIRC.....came from a capstan lathe ,but I thought the chuck would be easily replaced ,so I didnt save it.....it was worked by a lever and sleeve in the spindle..dead length type......A friend had the key type chuck with a L0 taper off a Student,and I thought he said he d give it away to someone with the collets......but hed changed his mind when I asked him....and he died a while back ,so that was that....His sons wanted megabucks for all his stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Ive got a full set of the Multi Size collets ,up to something like 2",IIRC.....came from a capstan lathe ,but I thought the chuck would be easily replaced ,so I didnt save it.....it was worked by a lever and sleeve in the spindle..dead length type......A friend had the key type chuck with a L0 taper off a Student,and I thought he said he d give it away to someone with the collets......but hed changed his mind when I asked him....and he died a while back ,so that was that....His sons wanted megabucks for all his stuff.
    I've got an L-00 one I'd trade for a plain back one so I could mount it on my Emco Maximat 11. Don't really need it as I've an ER40 collet chuck for the Emco but the L-00 chuck isn't doing me any good ATM. I've considered cutting the mount off.

PDW

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I havent got any chuck ,at all......Im thinking now when I get the scrap finished up,Im gonna spend the money on a new Asian Triumph with plenty of goodies....Im down to the last few items ,the stuff thats really hard to cut up ....Did you happen to see the ABC the other day....they say the world price of scrap steel is US$530/ton,A$750 odd....so the scrappies paying me $400 isnt going to kill them....