What's new
What's new

Reducing pressure from a PaintBall CO2 Tank

Rog/TN

Plastic
I'm operating out of my area of expertise :confused: . I want to use a 20oz PaintBall CO2 tsnk as a portable air hose...tire inflation,Brad nailer, etc. (Note this is not my application, but it describes the need). I am looking for a "low cost" regulator or valve that will take the tank 1200 psi pressure down to a preset pressure of ~75psi. Basically "On - Off". A gage would not be needed.
I have potential application that would require 1000 units per month... therefore, the need for low cost OEM type supplier. My searches on google and globalspec have not been successful.
Any advise or direction would be appreciated.
Thanks
rog/tn

try Thomas Registry for Pressure Reducing Valve.
I would think someone like Watts makes these. I had one in the box on ebay a few years ago and it brought more than 150 bucks, but there must be lower cost ones. BTW, Thomas Registry is the way to find OEM anything.

Rog.

IMS a couple of members make/renovate paintball guns and paraphernalia, the person sticks in my mind's name is Doc'sMachine I believe.

I dare day someone can weigh in shortly and point you to exactly where you need.

Al

Go to www.tippmanindustrial.com
These are the paint ball people and sewing machine folks. They have exactly what you are looking for. Called instant air. They have several differnt kits, and they will sell you just a regulator if you want. I have had one for several years. Use it to air up tires, dirve my nail gun, blow things off and out, etc.
You will wonder how you got along without it. If you call ask for Jim or Matt. Two of the nicest people you will ever do business with. Tell them John Lewis says hi.

Sorry, I misspelled the web site, its www.tippmannindustrial.com

Instant Air (AUTOMOTIVE)
Air Compressor
In A Bottle
[DT201]

20 OZ. AIR TANK SERVES AS PERFECT ALTERNATIVE TO AN ELECTRIC AIR COMPRESSOR

This revolutionary new CO2 based system is ideal for operating air (pneumatic tools), repairing tires, filling recreational tubes and inflatable equipment of all kinds, inflating air matresses, cleaning electrical / computer equipment, etc. You name it; you can use Tippmann Instant Air on just about anything that requires compressed air. Liquid CO2 occupies less than 1% of the space of compressed air, which is what allows the system to work with such efficiency and consistency. CO2 is a very safe, cost effective alternative to compressed air. This compact system fits easily on your belt with a simple waist clip and is capable of operating for extended periods time.

QUICK, SIMPLE AND INEXPENSIVE TO REFILL!!! The Tippmann Instant Air package also comes complete with a tire repair kit, which includes tire repair strings, rubber patch cement, rasp tool and needle. If you should experience a flat, take a few minutes to fix the hole; fill the tiire with the Instant Air, and you will be on your way. YOU DO NOT EVEN HAVE TO TAKE THE TIRE OFF OF THE CAR!!

CAPACITY EXAMPLES PER 20 OZ. FILL
* INFLATE 8 TRUCK TIRES SIZE 30 X 9 X 15
* INFLATE 9 COMPACT CAR TIRES SIZE 13"

* SHOOT 500-550 BRAD NAILS
* SHOOT 100-110 FRAMING NAILS
* RUN AIR RATCHET FOR 3.65 MINUTES (AIR RATCHET CONSUMES 3CFM)
* RUN HALF INCH IMPACT WRENCH 2.2 MINUTES (IMPACT WRENCH CONSUMES 5 CFM)
* BLOW OUT 40-60 PERSONAL COMPUTERS ON A SINGLE FILL

INCLUDED WITH PACKAGE:
1. 20 OZ. CO2 tank with regulator
*7" air hose and quick connect. Tank also comes complete with waist fastener.
2. Air tools
3. Tire repair kit
4. CO2 tank fill adapter
5. Hard Plastic Case

The pressure in a CO2 cylinder will be under 900 psi depending on temperature. I use a 50 pound cylinder for mig welding. The regulator I have will adjust up to 50 psi output. Normally I am using much lower pressure.

I'm one of the aforementioned "paintball guys".

IMO what you should look into is something of this nature:

Palmer's Female Stabilizer Reg

The CO2 tank screws into the bottom, and your output is the nickel plated 90 deg fitting shown. 0-700 psi adjustable output.

It would be very easy to plumb a ball valve or similar on/off device between the reg output and the device it's operating, or if you want to kill the input to the reg, there are readily available on/off valve solutions that either screw into the tank in place of the standard pin-valve, or that go between the pin valve and the reg as a separate unit.

They may or may not be able to supply your whole needs, though 12k/yr isn't huge, I don't know their volume capabilities. It's some place to start anyway.

Also, be aware that the pressure will fluctuate with both ambient temp AND use. Under high flow conditions it is entirely possible for the temp and pressure to drop inside the tank such that you are left with nothing but a block of dry ice (which must then sublimate back to gas before the pressure will return to normal). On a typical day you should expect to see pressures between 500 psi and 1800 psi, depending on ambient temp and usage of the system. If the humidity is high, the tank and all the fittings will frost heavily when the flow is high, and then melt off and pool water inside your device as the tank re-assumes ambient temp.

CO2 is very useful stuff, but you have to know it's personality to get the most out of it.

I'm not just "one of" the paintball guys, I'm the paintball guy. :D

Coolhand's already covered what I'd have recommended. Palmers' has adapted their (very good) regulators to battlebot applications, those "live action" BB-firing RC boat competitions, and even the home beer brewers.

A "Female" Stabilizer (female because it screws directly to the male-thread CO2 tank; an actual "female stabilizer", in my experience, has been quart of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, but I digress) would be one of the best "off the shelf" systems. It'd pretty much ready to go as is, though if I were ordering hundreds or thousands at once, I'd specify the output range, and they'll spring it specifically for you (including overpressure reliefs.)

The other thing Cool touched on was the... er, cooling effect. Regardless of the ambient temperature, if you're pulling pressure from the tank, it's going to cool off, and drop in pressure. CO2 does this more than most other compressed gasses, because the liquid in the tank "boils off" as the pressure drops, and that soaks up huge amounts of heat.

I have, in the past, tried CO2 tanks for air tools; I once used a 20lb steel tank to power a 1/4" die grinder with a 3" cutoff wheel, to salvage some parts out in a junkyard where electrical power was not available.

After making a total of about 14" of cut through auto-body sheetmetal, the tank, which was over 2/3rds full when I started, had frosted over and was feeding less than 150 psi to my regulator.

Now, things like brad nailers and the like have much lower air demands, and on a reasonably warm day, will likely never drop below reg output pressure until the liquid itself has been depleted.

But you'll still need to do some testing under various conditions, to see how the temperature and pressure fluctuation will affect the tool in question.

And if it's a commercial product, you might also do some testing to see how various tools react to the CO2. If a given tool uses Buna-N rubber O-rings, these tend to absorb CO2 under pressure, causing wear, leaks and damage.

Doc.

Damn paintball people beating me to sounding smart.

I'd have suggested the Female Stab also, they seem to be your best bet for CO2.

If freezing is a problem, grab a Nitrogen/Compressed air tank.

You could find a used one on a paintball forum, PBnation.com, for under 200 that has a low output of around 450. Then just knock it down to your needed pressure with a reg and your ready to rock.

N2 tanks are bigger, and more expensive, but if you have the issue with freezing causing problem go with N2. It has been said that N2 is cleaner also.

John, Al, Doc, and others
Thank you for your advise and counsel. I have followed up on every lead... have two quotes and samples coming in.
Thanks again
rog/Tn

My wife bought me one of these at closeout several years ago from Lowes. It is nice to run a nail gun or small air drill for a small job. The tank it came with leaked out all the CO2 because the relief valve did not seal.
They also make adapters so you can make your own soda.
They make high pressure gauges to monitor pressure in the tank but I do not think that would tell if you are running low. At least not until all the liquid is evaporated.
Bill D.

Shop Kobalt Portable Compressed CO2 Regulator at Lowes.com

Did you find the inexpensive pressure regulator you wanted?

I'm operating out of my area of expertise :confused: . I want to use a 20oz PaintBall CO2 tsnk as a portable air hose...tire inflation,Brad nailer, etc. (Note this is not my application, but it describes the need). I am looking for a "low cost" regulator or valve that will take the tank 1200 psi pressure down to a preset pressure of ~75psi. Basically "On - Off". A gage would not be needed.
I have potential application that would require 1000 units per month... therefore, the need for low cost OEM type supplier. My searches on google and globalspec have not been successful.
Any advise or direction would be appreciated.
Thanks
rog/tn

This topic is interesting. Curious to know if you went into production and what product you make.
Kind regards, Mike

Never heard back from Rog/TN on the nature of his project.
But I can add this... People talk about the National Gas
Outlet and NGO thread spec's. But there's no such thing
as the NGO. No organization with employees and management
and a physical address and phone named the National Gas
Outlet exists. They don't have specifications because
they don't exist. The NGO, if it ever existed at all, is
purely history at this point. There is no comprehensive
data regarding NGO pipe thread specifications being
maintained by anyone for archival purposes AFAIK.

Last edited:
This guy{me} wrote how to do it on the other site
1c64122deae2811675f7a21d3531fc5a.jpg
93c25fda5b9da1a28cfd2709428027ee.jpg
on how to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If CO2 isn't your thing, try "Green Gas" ahh err.. Propane!

Lots of low pressure regulators there. ;-)

If CO2 isn't your thing, try "Green Gas" ahh err.. Propane!

Lots of low pressure regulators there. ;-)

I made a propane air impact setup when I was younger and foolish.I did try It outside on a windy day. Just pulled the trigger without a socket on it. It stunk up my impact for weeks.Later on ,wind died down and I tried it again.I could smell the gas all around me and decided it was to dangerous.Of course inside use would be suicide.Edwin Dirnbeck

Back