What's new
What's new

best brand for a bridgeport vari speed drive belt

I am sure there are bad brands, but has anyone here really replaced one twice?

The one in my R2C3 snapped about 10 years ago after 25 years of use...........I have owned my Lagun for 30 years and never been inside it.

Point being if you overpay your cost per year will still be low. Don't go to China direct for 3 bucks

I have had good luck buying stuff from Drisson bptparts.com in the past

Suggest replacing bushings at same time.

L7

Spot on advice. If the drive belt does not run without vibration the bushings will separate from the epoxy and wear faster.
Anything that will stall the spindle will cause a flat spot to be burned into the height of the drive belt since the motor will continue to turn until power is turned off.
Driving a 3/4" tap and larger pipe taps will usually create a stall. Larger spade and flat bottom spade drills ...ect.

For the home shop I recommend the Goodyear belt. The belt is pliable and that is an aid during installation. Quiet running is a plus especially in a close quarters space. This drive belt should outlive the home shop user.

A more durable drive belt is made by Gates. The rubber compound makes the belt a bit harder to install while giving it a longer service life.
It will be somewhat louder than the Goodyear drive belt.

John

Back