What's new
What's new

Best end mills

dworthy17

Plastic
Sorry for my ignorance.. beginner machinist here. If this has been answered before could some direct me to where I can find the info already listed ? What are some of the better HSS or Carbide end mills out there for machining ? Preferably on;

- Mild steels, Brass
- between speeds of 600-1500 RPMS
- 2 Flute or 4 flutes
- On Bridgeport mill

Last edited:
Most of the guys here have forgotten more about machining than I know, but I'll take a stab at this.

Question is way overbroad.
You seem to be referring to carbide, is HSS not practical?

Depends on what you're machining, and the machine with which you're doing it.

Speeds, feeds, and DOC- right?

The brands I sell! :D pm me for all of your tooling needs! Always wanted to hijack a spam thread.... on a serious note I am a distributor and sell a bunch of different brands. It truly depends on what you’re doing with it. Running a Bridgeport cheap carbide maybe a HTC or CGS Tool or Accupro (for you MSC fans) but you can probably go cheaper than that. Running a 5th axis on 60 HRC mold I would suggest Mitsubishi or US Union. Job shop Helical is good or a similar level tool like Gorilla Mill, Imco, Garr / a US brand with a $50-$60 price point on a 1/2” variable helix 4 flute.

i'm a huge fan of Fraisa tools, customer service is second to none and so is performance. they are on the pricey end though. have been pretty disappointed with harvey stuff lately.

Do I smell spam? ………….. or maybe a fishing trip? ……...not sure - let's see what happens.

Sorry for my ignorance I'm new to this site, Learning how to work it as I go. I can assure you it is not spam. If this is the wrong site for me to be on for questions like these, please let me know.

Welcome to it! The crowd is here is very wary of newcomers posting vague questions then mentioning specific brands. Sounds like a build up. If you post more specific things like I run such and such machine and I mill these materials/ this type of work what do you guys like etc. that will go further. Also many of the “best general type” tools have been discussed many times so check out the archive. If you have something really specific some one on here has probably done it or something close to it and can help.

The brands I sell! :D pm me for all of your tooling needs! Always wanted to hijack a spam thread.... on a serious note I am a distributor and sell a bunch of different brands. It truly depends on what you’re doing with it. Running a Bridgeport cheap carbide maybe a HTC or CGS Tool or Accupro (for you MSC fans) but you can probably go cheaper than that. Running a 5th axis on 60 HRC mold I would suggest Mitsubishi or US Union. Job shop Helical is good or a similar level tool like Gorilla Mill, Imco, Garr / a US brand with a $50-$60 price point on a 1/2” variable helix 4 flute.

LOL! Yah mean well, but..

He said "beginner"?

Absent a hands-on Grand Master of a millhand to teach yah?

Whatever is CHEAPEST.. 'coz by yerself, "OJT", you won't even know what yer doin', lookin' for, what matters, WHY, nor even what to ASK to get more APPROPRIATE advice... until you have bustid, dulled, or burnt-up easily a dozen endmills, ANY type.

Mills ain't as forgiving as lathes. Yah have to learn the machine easily as much as the tooling.

"Job ONE" is a damned good pair of safety glasses, actually. Next up, patience, humility, and an open mind.

Person can learn this. Millions already have.

But box-tick "instant gratification" off a shopping list don't share a blanket with a mill.

:D

Skip carbide until you have made some chips. They are easy to brake/chip and "probably" not needed for what you want to do.

1/2" 4 flute 30degree helix angle hss there are many different flavors of coatings just get want is cheap you will ruin a few before you figure out what you are doing.

Back