What's new
What's new

Best Hand Tapping Jig? Minimum 7" Throat Depth. What Model, Where to Buy?

TeachMePlease

Diamond
First: Yes, I could just make one.

But that's not how my company works. If it's going to be used in production, it's got to be traceable to a manufacturer, and have a part number so it can be reordered as necessary. So no, I'm not just going to work a Saturday and build a fancy one like some of you have.

Second: It won't actually be used for a tap, it'll be used for a reamer, so something with a chuck for round tools would be useful, but I can make an adapter if need be (And then give the adapter a drawing and a part number and have it made by an outside shop, to follow rule number one).

This is what I found on MSC: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09491002

Appears to be OK, the 7.5" throat depth is the minimum I can use.

Any input on this one, or other models?

Thanks for any help.

I can make you one and give you a model #, part #, BOM, serial # (001 :D), and NIST cert.

Just followin' rule #1......

I have the Enco version of that from way back when. It seems to work just fine. There's not much too them. If the tap is straight in the collet, the rest of it just has to spin.

If it were my money, i'd probably get the $200 unit instead.

First: Yes, I could just make one.

But that's not how my company works. If it's going to be used in production, it's got to be traceable to a manufacturer, and have a part number so it can be reordered as necessary. So no, I'm not just going to work a Saturday and build a fancy one like some of you have.

Second: It won't actually be used for a tap, it'll be used for a reamer, so something with a chuck for round tools would be useful, but I can make an adapter if need be (And then give the adapter a drawing and a part number and have it made by an outside shop, to follow rule number one).

This is what I found on MSC: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09491002

Appears to be OK, the 7.5" throat depth is the minimum I can use.

Any input on this one, or other models?

Thanks for any help.

WiIll you need 10 approvals, 3 meetings, and 2 weeks of emails to spend $200 on one? :D

I worked at a place like that, and it is really not much of an exaggeration! Every purchase needed about 3 people, and a mile long email train back and forth to spend $50 on a tool. :gossip:

Our shipping department once lost a skid (yes a skid) of aluminum blanks for a production job for something like 2 weeks. :toetap:

The "Best" ?

How about a custom made job using a Harig air float endmill fixture ?
Mounted on a stout column. Column base has adjusting screws at flange interface for precise leveling & squareness, and it's bolted to a Starret master granite surface plate.

All would fit on a bench top....

That should crank up the bean counters underwear a few notches....:d

I have one of the tappers like the ones previously linked. Mine is the Phase II "brand," so it is the same generic Chinese copy of the USA-made Lassy tapper. I think it was about $150 around 15-20 years ago, so $200 today is fair. After I got mine, direct from Phase II, I saw the body was already drilled and tapped for a second collet rack. I was able to buy a second wood rack and set of tap collets from them. I keep UNC and UNF 2-flute spiral point taps in the collets ready to go. I think I have seen one or two of the Lassy tappers on eBay over the years.

Anyway, I am extremely happy with my Chinese tapper. It is well made and accurate enough that I never had a reason to check it for accuracy. It sure saves time when doing several through hole tapping jobs.

HAND TAPPER

But, if you want to buy American, Lassy is still in business making the current iteration of the tapper.

Lassy Tools-Products-HAND TAPPERS and TAP & DIE GUIDES

Larry

If you want one that'll last under ongoing shop usage, it's hard to go wrong with the Lassy Tool tappers. They make a bunch of sizes both benchtop and free standing.

I find it interesting that all of the ones listed in the 7.5" throat depth all come in at 37 lbs...?

I mean, I understand all the dimensions *should* be close, but just odd the exact same weight (listed anyways). Surely some of the cheaper models are using skinny castings and / or cheaping out on the base... or something.

That looks like a decent one. The most important aspects are a straight, well-fitted spindle and a good adjustment weight so the action is smooth and true.

PS: At home I use one bought from HF :eek: decades ago on sale. It needed some work on the tap holder retention spring and the addition of a balance weight but it's served well for lots of tapped holes.

The shop manager at my last job made one. It turned out so bad I tossed it in the garbage because it wasn't even square to the table, held the tap poorly and by my estimation cost us at least $1000 to make because he screwed it up at least 3 times. But then he claimed to be a precision tool and die maker with 30 years experience, so maybe its tougher to do than I thought.

I have used the Asian copies of the Lassy hand tapper and have been less than impressed. What a lousy not square lump of metal. We ended up with a Cedarberg hand tapper. The 780 has a 7.5" throat but is well machined and dead simple. It is US made and just works. The tap holders are machined from standard hex stock. So machining custom adapters is pretty easy.

Cedarberg_tapper_1.JPG

Cedarberg_tapper_2.JPG

If you were making small stuff and could live with a 4" throat, the most used tapper at work is a Bauer Precision No. 110 hand tapper. I really like it for smaller taps (#10 and below).

Bauer_Precision_hand_tapper.JPG

Back