Best Hand Tapping Jig? Minimum 7" Throat Depth. What Model, Where to Buy?
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Best Hand Tapping Jig? Minimum 7" Throat Depth. What Model, Where to Buy?

First: Yes, I could just make one.

But that's not how my company works. If it's going to be used in production, it's got to be traceable to a manufacturer, and have a part number so it can be reordered as necessary. So no, I'm not just going to work a Saturday and build a fancy one like some of you have.

Second: It won't actually be used for a tap, it'll be used for a reamer, so something with a chuck for round tools would be useful, but I can make an adapter if need be (And then give the adapter a drawing and a part number and have it made by an outside shop, to follow rule number one).

This is what I found on MSC: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09491002

Appears to be OK, the 7.5" throat depth is the minimum I can use.

Any input on this one, or other models?

Thanks for any help.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can make you one and give you a model #, part #, BOM, serial # (001 ), and NIST cert.

Just followin' rule #1......

3. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A drill prees makes a great Tapper..and it can drill and tap...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    A drill prees makes a great Tapper..and it can drill and tap...
    Needs to be benchtop, and as compact as possible. Trust me, I suggested a drill press. No go.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No exp with this model as I've always used shop made ones, but appears "good enough", and about half the price of MSC.

PRECISION HAND TAPPER

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought one of those from Rutland years ago. I thought it worked pretty good. Real easy to keep taps straight and square when tapping by hand.

I let someone borrow it. They must've thought it worked pretty good too cause I never got it back.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    I can make you one and give you a model #, part #, BOM, serial # (001 ), and NIST cert.

Just followin' rule #1......
    After the cheque clears....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the Enco version of that from way back when. It seems to work just fine. There's not much too them. If the tap is straight in the collet, the rest of it just has to spin.

If it were my money, i'd probably get the $200 unit instead.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    First: Yes, I could just make one.

But that's not how my company works. If it's going to be used in production, it's got to be traceable to a manufacturer, and have a part number so it can be reordered as necessary. So no, I'm not just going to work a Saturday and build a fancy one like some of you have.

Second: It won't actually be used for a tap, it'll be used for a reamer, so something with a chuck for round tools would be useful, but I can make an adapter if need be (And then give the adapter a drawing and a part number and have it made by an outside shop, to follow rule number one).

Appears to be OK, the 7.5" throat depth is the minimum I can use.

Any input on this one, or other models?

Thanks for any help.
    WiIll you need 10 approvals, 3 meetings, and 2 weeks of emails to spend $200 on one?

I worked at a place like that, and it is really not much of an exaggeration! Every purchase needed about 3 people, and a mile long email train back and forth to spend $50 on a tool.

Our shipping department once lost a skid (yes a skid) of aluminum blanks for a production job for something like 2 weeks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

The "Best" ?

How about a custom made job using a Harig air float endmill fixture ?
    Mounted on a stout column. Column base has adjusting screws at flange interface for precise leveling & squareness, and it's bolted to a Starret master granite surface plate.

All would fit on a bench top....

That should crank up the bean counters underwear a few notches....:d

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have one of the tappers like the ones previously linked. Mine is the Phase II "brand," so it is the same generic Chinese copy of the USA-made Lassy tapper. I think it was about $150 around 15-20 years ago, so $200 today is fair. After I got mine, direct from Phase II, I saw the body was already drilled and tapped for a second collet rack. I was able to buy a second wood rack and set of tap collets from them. I keep UNC and UNF 2-flute spiral point taps in the collets ready to go. I think I have seen one or two of the Lassy tappers on eBay over the years.

Anyway, I am extremely happy with my Chinese tapper. It is well made and accurate enough that I never had a reason to check it for accuracy. It sure saves time when doing several through hole tapping jobs.

HAND TAPPER

But, if you want to buy American, Lassy is still in business making the current iteration of the tapper.

Lassy Tools-Products-HAND TAPPERS and TAP & DIE GUIDES

Larry

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you want one that'll last under ongoing shop usage, it's hard to go wrong with the Lassy Tool tappers. They make a bunch of sizes both benchtop and free standing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find it interesting that all of the ones listed in the 7.5" throat depth all come in at 37 lbs...?

I mean, I understand all the dimensions *should* be close, but just odd the exact same weight (listed anyways). Surely some of the cheaper models are using skinny castings and / or cheaping out on the base... or something.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tell your boss you need a power tapping arm.

One of our subcontracters has one that can tap 3/4" NPT.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That looks like a decent one. The most important aspects are a straight, well-fitted spindle and a good adjustment weight so the action is smooth and true.

PS: At home I use one bought from HF decades ago on sale. It needed some work on the tap holder retention spring and the addition of a balance weight but it's served well for lots of tapped holes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have one as in the links. Works just fine. Paying $500 for it would be ridiculous though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The shop manager at my last job made one. It turned out so bad I tossed it in the garbage because it wasn't even square to the table, held the tap poorly and by my estimation cost us at least $1000 to make because he screwed it up at least 3 times. But then he claimed to be a precision tool and die maker with 30 years experience, so maybe its tougher to do than I thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have used the Asian copies of the Lassy hand tapper and have been less than impressed. What a lousy not square lump of metal. We ended up with a Cedarberg hand tapper. The 780 has a 7.5" throat but is well machined and dead simple. It is US made and just works. The tap holders are machined from standard hex stock. So machining custom adapters is pretty easy.

cedarberg_tapper_1.jpg

cedarberg_tapper_2.jpg

If you were making small stuff and could live with a 4" throat, the most used tapper at work is a Bauer Precision No. 110 hand tapper. I really like it for smaller taps (#10 and below).

bauer_precision_hand_tapper.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crrmeyer View Post

If you were making small stuff and could live with a 4" throat, the most used tapper at work is a Bauer Precision No. 110 hand tapper. I really like it for smaller taps (#10 and below).
    Bauer went tits-up recently. Entire shop was sold at auction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    Bauer went tits-up recently. Entire shop was sold at auction.
    Ugg. Well that stinks. Interesting that the web site is still up.

Link to auction flyer.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/koster-indu...er-Ebroc-1.pdf

Looks like they were also selling the rights to make the hand tapper. I wonder if anyone picked it up? I sent an email regarding. We will see if it gets answered.