What's new
What's new

Best indicator repair service

Motorsports-X

Hot Rolled
Need to send out a Bestest 0-15-0, blake coax, and a haimer. Long Island indicator takes FOREVER.

it took me 6 months to get my etalon micrometer back when I sent it. Who do you guys use?

Mr tool repair
f2699574de13bb13e38522963f9b428f.jpg

I sent my Blake to L.I.I. it came back in 2 weeks, maybe just a coincidence. Either way you can call and get an ETR. But the title of the thread is "best" not fastest, or cheapest or whatever else.

R

I've always wondered if a watchmaker would be able to fix test indicator, or if that would be a total cluster-mess...

as watchmaking is an interest of mine I've use my fledgling knowledge to repair indicators, indicating mics and dial calipers. There is a great deal of overlap in tools and techniques and an indicator is extremely simple compared to a watch. otoh, the don't open the same way and that would be completely new territory to most watchmakers and depending, could go either way.

Most of what I've repaired have been broken jewels, crystal replacement and oiled up sticky hair springs, child's play for a watchmaker

Last edited:
as watchmaking is an interest of mine I've use my fledgling knowledge to repair indicators, indicating mics and dial calipers. There is a great deal of overlap in tools and techniques and an indicator is extremely simple compared to a watch. otoh, the don't open the same way and that would be completely new territory to most watchmakers and depending, could to either way.

Most of what I've repaired have been broken jewels and oiled up sticky hair springs, child's play for a watchmaker

my blake and haimer got crashed. the indicator i have no idea whats wrong with it. if you lay it down it works fine. if you stand it up, or tilt it forward slightly, it sticks.

Never lubricate a hairspring. It might seem to help at first, but will make thinks worse in the long run. With broken jewels you need to very carefully inspect the arbor pivots and the concentricity of the arbor. Fine instruments like these rely on the very low friction between the polished jewel bore and the polished hardened steel pivot.

Never lubricate a hairspring. It might seem to help at first, but will make thinks worse in the long run. With broken jewels you need to very carefully inspect the arbor pivots and the concentricity of the arbor. Fine instruments like these rely on the very low friction between the polished jewel bore and the polished hardened steel pivot.

There is never a reason to oil a hairspring, but guys want to squirt oil into indicators. imo don't oil any part of an indicator. watch oiling is very exact thing, it relies just the right amount and surface tension - too much and gravity breaks the surface tension and away goes the oil. So even on a watch if not done carefully its useless, and indicators have a duty cycle of what, a billionth of that of a watch? No lubrication needed, just ends up making it sticky

To be clear I was commenting on fixing oiled up hair springs (via cleaning), not suggesting that one should oil them....I can see how my wording could have been taken the wrong way

Last edited:
Blake also repairs Blake co-ax indicators. I was happy with their service on the non-functioning one I picked up at an estate sale.

Long Island has fixed several indicators (3) for me. Service was always prompt and exactly when they said it would be done. I always check with them via email prior to sending. They do not communicate by phone as indicated on their website. Repairs have been perfect even on a indicator I figured was totaled.

Denis

I'm grinding the jaws parallel on a Starrett micrometer The same tool I have used for the last 16 years.
At Starrett women do finishing work like this. A medium and fine diamond stone and a closeup lens should do it.

I've always wondered if a watchmaker would be able to fix test indicator, or if that would be a total cluster-mess...

I had one 'repaired' one time by a watchmaker. Pretty much came back as near useless as it left. Could not say if he was a good watch man or not so take that for what you will...

my blake and haimer got crashed. the indicator i have no idea whats wrong with it. if you lay it down it works fine. if you stand it up, or tilt it forward slightly, it sticks.

Have you considered just replacing them, maybe one at a time so it's not such a pain in the wallet? I was lucky enough to have this repaired at one time.. OUCH! :eek: IIRC pretty much half price of a new one...

.3 Inch Range, .5 Inch Dial 86915717 - MSC (description in hyperlink not "quite" correct! LOL)

Have you considered just replacing them, maybe one at a time so it's not such a pain in the wallet? I was lucky enough to have this repaired at one time.. OUCH! :eek: IIRC pretty much half price of a new one...

.3 Inch Range, .5 Inch Dial 86915717 - MSC (description in hyperlink not "quite" correct! LOL)

It's practically brand new. Iirc I paid a couple hundred bucks for it. So if it's a minor repair I'd prefer to save money.

It's practically brand new. Iirc I paid a couple hundred bucks for it. So if it's a minor repair I'd prefer to save money.

Aye.. but then it was crashed! As with motorcars, "minor" may no longer apply, brand-new just-prior or no.

Almost certainly be money-ahead to buy a used one that has NOT been crashed, be happy if it is in good working order, as-had, then send THAT one for "minor" repair if need be.

Or both, goal being (at least) one good one. Indicator repair shops can't just go s**t all possible needfuls, repair parts-wise, so that might speed turnaround, and dramatically so.

You NEED this item, call 'em and ask.

I have never had a indicator, caliper or such repaired.
Always considered them perishable tooling.
Is this cost effective since the best you get back is functioning used item?
I see no way to make it "like new" without going over the cost of new.
Bob

My when my indicator broke I used the guy who advertises on eBay under in interapid indicator repair for $50. I spoke with the guy over the phone it sounds like he is semi retired and does the eBay thing for some income. I don't know what his capabilities are past interapid but I got a great service seem like and very quick service. He posts his number on eBay so I would call the guy and see if he can help. Real nice and knowledgeable too. I

I've got 20 years high end watch repair under my belt and I'd never work on an indicator for someone else. I do my own though.

They're fundamentally similar and dissimilar to watches. To do a 'proper' job I'd surpass the new value even for the most basic service.

Back