What's new
What's new

What temperature to anneal copper?

I routinely anneal brass...the books calls for any temperature between 800 to 1300 degrees F. This same book shows copper to anneal at between 700 to 1200 degrees F. I don't know about copper but with brass you can plunge into water after temp is reached OR merely let the item cool by itself...you get the same result, softer material.

Stuart

I have simply used a torch (air-acetylene, not a flashlight) to get the copper or brass to dull red heat. It is easiest to see the glow if you work in a dim place. You can water quench if you are in a hurry, but air cooling will get the same result.

Larry

About 800 deg. I've always used soap as an indicator. When it blackens (without direct flame) you are about right. For a hotter temp, put a light coating of soot on with an acetylene flame the heat with a slightly oxidising flame until the soot is gone. This gets you to around 1000 deg. Same temps for Aluminium.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I tried crimping and turning one today without annealing and it worked alright.

Anealing wont help you need to heat prior to crimping or the band will spin on the shell.
I presume you are talking about is spinning if the shell was fired? Unfortunately I am only doing these shells as collectors display pieces.

Back