What's new
What's new

Best material choice for sleeve removal tool: Tool Steel, 41XX, 52100, ???

doug925

Titanium
Hi all.
I have been asked by a customer to provide clamping jaws to facilitate the removal of pressed on sleeves.
They are currently using a custom machined, bearing clamp / puller. (see attached pics)
The sleeves have a 0.100 x 0.0216" (radial depth) ring groove on the OD that will register the sleeve vertically, and not let the sleeve move up or down, as the shaft is pressed out.

I believe the force required to remove the shaft is around 2-4K lbs, so not bad.

The clamp will be machined to grab the sleeve in the groove, clamping on 350° of the OD. The clamp halves will meet at the 0.001-0.0015" after the sleeve OD is clamped.

My main question is this:
What is my best choice of material?
Tool Steel: O1, A1, D2, W1
Alloy Steel: 41XX, 52100, 5160, Cr-V?

I want to harden the tools to the Rc45-Rc50, and would love a stable material that will not move around much.
I also do not want the tool to break, bend, nor shear the mating portion of the clamp that interfaces with the radial groove on the sleeve.

Thanks,

Doug.

20211019_155458.jpg20210916_155611.jpg

D2 is fairly stable, 420 stainless also very stable and you could give you that hardness. If you choose alloy, 4340 may be a better option.

Edit: When heat treating 4140 or 4340 I have had a lot better success with starting with prehard. The material does not grow nearly as much like you see when heat treating annealed.

I don't claim it's best, but in my shop I would probably use A2 if stability was the main concern, O1 if cost was a big concern. That's primarily because I can quench and temper A2 in house with confidence. Rc45 should be a very tough tool, without concern for shearing or chipping, and with adequate tool thickness amply strong.

Last edited:
If there's any post heat treat machining (grinding) D-2 is somewhat non-magnetic and not a lot of fun to grind either. I'd use either A-2, or S-7 and avoid sharp internal corners in the design.

Back