What's new
What's new

Best place to buy quality drill sets? screw machine length, 135° split point

maxh

Hot Rolled
Where would you buy quality U.S. made drill sets of 135° split point, screw machine length drills? 1-60, A-Z, 1/16-1/2 x 1/64ths. HSS or Cobalt. Many places have them in 118° point, or jobbers length. McMaster has them but they're pretty expensive.

At one point, Enco had been offering "Made in USA" Cobalt screw machine drill sets. They still have sets, but now it's not clear where they come from, you could ask a salesperson (but don't be surprised if they're not aware or correct). On the other hand, they have frequent sales (this page has some sets at sale prices: Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Measuring Tools, Cutting Tools and Shop Supplies ), and there's a further 20% off you can take with this code: SVM20 [over $199, ends today].

When I did my first major buy of drills, this is how I did it, got a huge amount at a pretty nice price...

Milland has good advice.

If you can wait a while, both ENCO and MSC run pretty good sales on decent sets sometimes. I got Cleveland sets as you described for a good price.

For the sizes that wear/break/wander off on their own, I usually buy replacements a dozen at a time from McMaster.

Second on the Morse drills from Maritool.
I have been using tons of their 130 Degree Cobalt Parabolic drills lately. Both screw machine and jobber length.

Work great, good price. Highly recommended.

I'm not sure about the 135° split point, but check out WintersDrillBitCity.Com. I've got the screw machine length sets from them and they are real good quality.

J. Clear

Where would you buy quality U.S. made drill sets of 135° split point, screw machine length drills? 1-60, A-Z, 1/16-1/2 x 1/64ths. HSS or Cobalt. Many places have them in 118° point, or jobbers length. McMaster has them but they're pretty expensive.

Champion Cutting tools have really nice sets. Also, if your'e drilling SS, the XL-5 series is a high Moly HSS that wears like cobalt but is tougher (not britle) My two cents...

It is more a question of what brand you buy instead of where you buy it.

You appear to be in Austin, Texas. There are probably some local, commercial tool suppliers there who would stock quality brands.

As for web sources, like Enco and the rest, they often stock several different brands, including a house brand. Some are US made and some are imports of differing quality levels. If the descriptions are not complete, you can always e-mail or call them or check out the manufacturer on the web.

Champion Cutting tools have really nice sets. Also, if your'e drilling SS, the XL-5 series is a high Moly HSS that wears like cobalt but is tougher (not britle) My two cents...

I bought a set of 1/2" shank up to 1" drill dia. Champion drills on impulse because they happened be lying on the counter and looked good. Within a few days my helper wouldn't use anything else.

Bill

If cost is an issue, another approach is to buy half decent import sets for the 1-60 and A-Z -- then replace the tap-sized ones you use with top quality brands.

In a set of 60 or 26, half a dozen of the bits will get the lion's share of use in most shops.

I would agree. I have a fairly decent, probably imported set of screw machine length drills; the big set with number, letter and fractional sizes. I purchased it from Enco some years ago. My intention from the go was to use the small sizes until they break or dull and then buy name brand replacements in quantity (10 or 12 packs). So far, I have about three or four packs of replacements so the set is still full up. The larger sizes I resharpen (whispered very quietly; by hand).

Of course, this is but one of about 10 or 12 drill sets that I have. I haven't counted lately, but I am definitely not going to be caught without a drill size that I need.

If cost is an issue, another approach is to buy half decent import sets for the 1-60 and A-Z -- then replace the tap-sized ones you use with top quality brands.

In a set of 60 or 26, half a dozen of the bits will get the lion's share of use in most shops.

Back