What's new
What's new

Best place to buy small amounts of D2 tool steel

I'm just getting started on a design / prototype job making a small shear for cutting strapping material, similar to slings used for material handling / hoisting. I need annealed ground stock 1/2" x 1 3/4",2-3 ft And 1/2" x 2", 3' This is not a material I normally use so I have no idea who has it and have not had time to shop around. I know McMaster Carr has it but their materials are usually high priced

Speedy Metals maybe? We have an Alro outlet here in Orlando that carries drops by the pound, I'm pretty sure they have D2. I can't believe there is not a comparable outlet between Cleveland, Toledo, and Detroit somewhere.

Have not bought D2, but I like Hudson. Seems to me the last S7 I bought from them was about 60% what Speedy would have cost. I do buy a lot of round stock and small quantity items from Speedy, no complaints. But for any larger sizes or for specifically tool steels, Hudson generally seems better.

On cut lengths, Hudson will go out in the yard and look for a drop close to what you want & sometimes sell a much larger piece for the same price as the size you wanted would have been.

smt

Around Detroit we have Production Tool. They sell some new machines and have a good stock of supplies including drill rod..D2 is a common drill rod but I don'r if that. Yes the are just a tad higher than Alro or the like but handy for a small order.

Should be such near you location.

I think the owner at my first job helped Dan get started with the fine store in the 50s (yes I was just a kid then)
http://www.pts-tools.com/cgi/CGP2CSGEN?PMSIDE=Y&PMFILE=P2ABOUT01.html

Around Detroit we have Production Tool. They sell some new machines and have a good stock of supplies including drill rod..D2 is a common drill rod but I don'r if that. Yes the are just a tad higher than Alro or the like but handy for a small order.

Should be such near you location.

I think the owner at my first job helped Dan get started with the fine store in the 50s (yes I was just a kid then)
http://www.pts-tools.com/cgi/CGP2CSGEN?PMSIDE=Y&PMFILE=P2ABOUT01.html

Ah, the good old days. When J&L was actually owned by John&Larry?, before Kennametal bought them out. My local PTS was on Telegraph across from Detroit Diesel, and J&L was around the corner, just off Grand River.

I think both companies got their start selling surplus from WW2 as well as automotive model year changeovers. With Ford's Willow Run B24 bomber plant and Chrysler's tank plant in Warren, there was lots of surplus. There were still a lot of surplus drills into the '80's, many with government markings and even a few carbon steel.

Out here PTS won't even sell to me direct, as they have an in-state reseller who has very little in stock.

Back