What's new
What's new

Best platform to set up simple online store?

adammil1

Titanium
I recently made a limited production of a neat little accessory for my hobby with a partner. Right now we have a somewhat limited volume of items we have produced in a few different flavors of equally limited trial quantities. The plan right now is to post them an appropriate site and test the market to see how well they sell.

If they do well maybe we make a little toy money each year. From past experience selling limited quantities of items on discussion forms can be a pain of emails and coordination especially when several people email, and some things sell out. Right now time is somewhat limited so ideally I would just like to set up something like Ebay store to sell everything where all I need to do is post a link and then print shipping labels when an item sells. The added be benefit of using a platform vs private messages, emails and PayPal/checks is since I have a partner is it would give full transparency.

Since I don't need Ebay's large platform to advertise for me can anyone recommend something better or with lower fees? Anyone ever use Etsy? Or is there a smaller even lower fee simple to use online store platform?

The "best" platform? How do you define "best"? That is the most important question here. Another important question here is what is a good estimate of the number of sales you will realistically have?

You are in the US. From first hand experience I can tell you that means that you are at a financial disadvantage with makers in places like China. For better or worse, that is a fact. If you make them yourself, they will probably be expensive in the eyes of the buyers. I say that even if it is a unique item that no one else makes yet. People are accustomed to a certain level of prices for various things. Companies like Apple can take a device that costs $10 to make and sell it for $500. But, you will have a real difficult job doing that.

If your "best" platform is an inexpensive one, then try E-Bay. With their auction format, they only charge for actual sales. And they will provide a discount for the shipping rates. Amazon will charge fees just for the listing and more when there is a sale. I don't know about their shipping. I did a cost comparison on a relatively inexpensive item and found that I would have to charge almost double the retail price on Amazon as opposed to E-Bay.

Another way would be to buy some server space and get your own web address. There are inexpensive and even free programs for making your own web site. But this will take TIME and effort on your part. And you are on your own in attracting viewers to your site. There are also other companies that provide sales sites. Their charges and included services can vary. You just have to look them up and check out their services and rates.

I would say EBay is best for small volumes..........it also gives the buyer confidence to buy,but scammers on ebay and paypal will drive you nuts when selling volume stuff............there is also the old fashioned methods,where basically you have to attract a distributor to sell your product.........if the item has use for some niche activity,then swapmeets and even weekend markets are viable outlets.....beware that taxtaion authorities survey all these outlets.

Create your own web page with a PayPal link and showcase your items there. There are sites dedicated to stuff like this I'm sure of it.
Wix,Weebly, Squarespace etc...

Shopify is the easiest if you can drive your customers to it. If you can't merket yourself then Ebay would be better.

Post some info of said product line here.

It's all in the details.
Sure need a pressure gauge for your 1-1/2 scale model steam locomotive. No one else is making them so we made a few.

Also going to need to get a better photo before advertising these things for real. I have a few available in nickel plated too plus optional fittings and the like. Figure if for nothing else it will be fun to see something I invented myself out there in the world

3f96a78a6c43ec9506bee7bbebf9f9a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

those look beautiful. maybe get your website up first, then post in the antique machinery section here. post a description of what why and how you did it, then just add that you have them available and link.

I think there would be real interest in how you made those even to those not looking to buy one. I would like to know more myself. nice work, cheers!

Back