What's new
What's new

Best small, full featured milling machine?

jim rozen

Diamond
LOL. I guess reading the 'lathe' thread below
made me think. What's the equivalent for
milling machines?

Something with a smaller footprint than a
bridgeport, but precision. Not a mill/drill,
something like an aciera F2 or a deckel FP2?

Ability to run in horizontal mode a plus.

Does not *have* to be vertical. I would put
the hardinge UM in there too.

Does schaublin make a machine like that?

Jim

Well, Ross and I have a running disagreement over the Deckel FP1 vs FP2 on that, simply because I don't consider the FP2 "small" enough to officially be a "small" mill.

But of course, what "small" is, is subjective enough that either of us could be right. I guess I should convert to declaring the FP2 "small" since I have two of them for sale ! I can see my eBay ad now "L@@K, the Ultimate Small Mill !" LOL...

Other contenders include Aciera F2,F3 Fehlmann Picomax 50 and Schaublin 13. The Fehlmann won't do horizontal and has no power feeds on axis travels, but does some things the other won't like quick change tooling and powered quill. The Hardinge UM is a joke in comparison to all of those.

schab32.jpg

Late model Schaublin 13 I owned...and is now in Thailand ! Yes, yet another had to export because of you know what...

Ah, I should have added, that power feeds would
be optional, not really a requirement. I never
see the shaublins for sale around here.

Jim

Sorry for the threadjack
But of course, what "small" is, is subjective enough that either of us could be right. I guess I should convert to declaring the FP2 "small" since I have two of them for sale ! I can see my eBay ad now "L@@K, the Ultimate Small Mill !"
Don, how often do you update inventory listings on your other site? Or, is there to much turnover to make it worthwhile? I sometimes don't know how badly I need something, until I see a really nice own for sale. :D

Don, how often do you update inventory listings on your other site?
Almost never. Ironically, I'm pretty slack about my business website. What is on there represents probably a third of what I actually have, but at the same time, some of what is on there is sold. Guess I look at the Procyon website as mostly just for "show" to give "comfort" to customers of a legitimate business....and I can't get it in my head that there are possibly hundreds of folks who actually look at the thing expecting new stuff to pop up there on occassion !

I guess the big difference is this place is "fun" and that place is "druggery", so that place get's neglected ! I really need an employee just to keep up the Procyon website and list tooling and smaller items on eBay on a continuous basis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A real milling machine with 5 HP Horizontal Spindle and a 2 HP Verticle all in one machine with power feeds and rapid traverse. '

HOLY SHIIT! I THOUGHT MY 1-D WAS A REAL MILL!

never seen one of those monsters. i'm jealous of
anyone who has one . the tmaster H/V 2-head machine
is cool ,but that one's even cooler.

who has the adcock/shipley mill? i want to get one
for my basement shop. rare, but there's always a
way....

#6 Van Norman, with the addition of an aftermarket x-axis power feed. I moved up from a Hardinge TM equipped with a Millwaukee Mini-Mill head to the V/N. The footprint was about the same, but the increase in ridgity and versatility was like day and night. Hardinge mills may be "cute", but I'll take a Van Norman or an Abene anyday.

tnmgcarbide

That Cincy looks so good I'd buy it if I only had a place to put it...

Can I really park it in the living room.. in the corner maybe? ,,,put a lamp on it? or maybe a actual machine tool WORKLIGHT

Did *paula* buy that tiny horizontal? I saw it
go by on ebay a few months ago. Nice machine
but the asprin slot comment was, er, mildly
humorous.

As far as the hardinge vertical machines, I think
he was talking about the true vertical machine
that they made a very few of, *not* the cataract
miller, and *not* the UM with the 4C head.

It was a true vertical machine with the casting
that bend around, and an HLVH-like spindle.
Also used a separate motor for the feeds,
likewise.

Jim

" You mean that tiny little bench thing they made maybe ten of in the 1930's ?"

I got one of those, bought from PM member.The best condition one I ever saw, including original mini hardinge vise.
If only my digi camera software worked...
bb2v.gif

above pic from Tony's lathe.co.uk

Jim,

I'm not sure how small you are looking for but how about this?
Jordan06.JPG
If that mill isn't small enough maybe this would do;
SpielBP1.JPG
Would you be interested in a lathe of matching size?
Jordan15.JPG

Yea I know a little impractical but I always am amazed by those pictures of mini machines. Here's a link to these fabulous works of art. Small machine tools The more interesting thing to ask is how many of those guys wives would allow thier creations to be put on display in the living room?

Adam

Well, that b'port would fit in my lab!

I worry about that guy cutting a tiny groove
in his finger though.

As far as the P&W no. 3 milling machine, that's
a sweet choice. If I could find one in good
shape, I'd probably go for it, even an open
belt one.

I'm sure anyone who'd sneer at a UM would most
likely outright guffaw at a teeny horizontal
like that - but there you are.

The Van Norman does seem to be a very nice
machine. Checked out a few on ebay, most are
pretty big. How small did they come?

Jim

Hardinge vertical. Ivory dials, felt like an H.LV. I want one for single action work, a lot of visual, not dimemsion. But now that I saw that Childs 0000, I would love one.

Back